Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
From Islam. First attested in the mid-1980s in English.
- Motivated by Islamic beliefs, particularly in the political sphere (e.g. a supporter of the introduction of sharia law).
- (dated) Relating to Islam, particularly orthodox Islam.
NounIslamist (plural Islamists)
- A person who espouses Islamic fundamentalist beliefs.
- (somewhat rare) A person who specializes in Islamic studies.
- (dated) A Muslim, particularly an orthodox Muslim.
person with Islamic fundamentalist beliefs