Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪsən
- (Greek mythology) The leader of the Argonauts, who retrieved the Golden Fleece from king Aeetes of Colchis, for his uncle Pelias.
- A male given name; it was very popular in the English-speaking world in the 1970s and the 1980s.
- 1594, William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act III, Scene II:
- I know he will be glad of our success: / We are the Jasons, we have won the fleece.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), Acts 17:6-7
- And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also; Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.
- 1984 Sue Townsend, The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole, Methuen 1985, ISBN 0413588106, page 49:
- The new prince left the hospital today. My father is hoping that he will be called George, after him. My mother said that it's time the Royal Family came up to date and called the Prince Brett or Jason.
leader of Argonauts