NounLayer (plural Layers)
- A single thickness of some material covering a surface
- A (usually) horizontal deposit; a stratum.
- A person who lays things, such as tiles.
- A hen kept to lay eggs.
- An item of clothing worn under or over another.
- A shoot of a plant, laid underground for growth.
- (stratum): stratum
- (ambitransitive) to cut or divide (something) into layers
- (ambitransitive) to arrange (something) in layers.
- Layer the ribbons on top of one another to make an attractive pattern.
Appleton layer, F layer, Heaviside-Kennelly layer, Van Allen belt, arrange in layers, belt, bookie, chemosphere, delaminate, desquamate, exfoliate, flake, ionosphere, isothermal region, laminate, lay down, lay up, lower atmosphere, outer atmosphere, photosphere, scale, stratify, stratosphere, stratum, substratosphere, tropopause, troposphere, upper atmosphere
- Layer in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Layer in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911