NounObscenity (plural obscenities)
- (countable) Something that is obscene.
- Martha wouldn't go into the art museum because, as she put it, "They have obscenities just sitting out, on display!"
- (countable) An act of obscene behaviour.
- Bestiality was outlawed as an obscenity in the strongly conservative community.
- (countable) Specifically, an offensive word; a profanity; a dirty word.
- Eliza couldn't stand her daughter's music; as she saw it, it was just shouted obscenities and a heavy drum beat.
- (uncountable) The qualities that make something obscene; lewdness, indecency, or offensive behaviour.
- The coalition of religious conservatives was campaigning against, in their view, rampant obscenity in the entertainment industry.
Verbs for Obscenity
besmirch by—; censure—; decry—; denounce—; deplore—; devour—; disapprove of—; escape—; foul by—; gorge on—; indulge in—; loathe—; pardon—; repent—; revel in—; wallow in—; —defiles; —nauseates; —offends; —perishes; —revolts; — shocks; —stains; —violates.
Rabelaisianism, X-rated movie, abominability, animality, bad language, baseness, bawdiness, bawdry, beastliness, billingsgate, blue language, blue movie, carnality, clitoromania, coarseness, colorful language, concupiscence, contemptibility, contrariety, crassness, crudeness, crudity, curse, cursing, cuss, cuss word, cussing, despicability, despicableness, dirt, dirtiness, dirty language, dirty movie, dirty name, dirty talk, dirty word, disgustingness, dysphemism, earthiness, epithet, erotic art, erotic literature, eroticism, eroticomania, erotographomania, erotomania, evil speaking, expletive, fescenninity, filth, filthiness, filthy language, fleshliness, foul invective, foul language, foulness, fulsomeness, furor uterinus, gaudiness, goatishness, grossness, gynecomania, harshness, hatefulness, heinousness, horniness, hysteromania, iconolagny, ignobility, lasciviousness, lecherousness, lechery, lewdness, libidinousness, lickerishness, loathsomeness, loudness, lubriciousness, lubricity, lust, lustfulness, meretriciousness, nastiness, naughty word, nauseousness, no-no, noisomeness, noxiousness, nymphomania, oath, objectionability, objectionableness, obnoxiousness, odiousness, offensiveness, pornographic art, pornographic literature, pornographomania, pornography, profane oath, profane swearing, profanity, prurience, pruriency, putridity, putridness, randiness, rawness, rebarbativeness, repellence, repellency, repugnance, repulsiveness, ribaldry, rottenness, roughness, rudeness, salaciousness, salacity, satyriasis, satyrism, scatology, scurrility, sensuality, sexiness, sexploitation, sexuality, skin flick, smut, smuttiness, soft-core pornography, stag film, strong language, swearing, swearword, unparliamentary language, unrepeatable expressions, unspeakableness, uteromania, vile language, vileness, vulgar language