NounOffence (plural Offences)
- The act of offending; a crime or sin; an affront or injury.
- The state of being offended or displeased; anger; displeasure.
- (team sports) A strategy and tactics employed when in position to score; contrasted with defence.
- (team sports) The portion of a team dedicated to scoring when in position to do so; contrasted with defence.
sin, slight, slip, take umbrage, transgression, trespass, violation, wrong, wrongdoing, breach, crime, dereliction, error, fault, felony, harm, hurt, infraction, infringement, injure, insult, lapse, malefaction, misdeed, misdemeanor, offend, outrage, peccadillo,
(US English) offense (plural: offenses)
From Latin offensa (“a striking against; displeasure; injury”)
- Rhymes: -ɛns
- See also Thesaurus:offense