- Causing offense; arousing a visceral reaction of disgust, anger, or hatred
- Some feminists find pornography offensive.
- Relating to an offense or attack, as opposed to defensive.
- The army's offensive capabilities. An offensive weapon.
- (team sports) Having to do with play directed at scoring.
- The offensive coordinator is responsible for ordering all rushing plays.
- Nouns to which "offensive" is often applied: content, material, language, word, comment, remark, statement, speech, joke, humor, image, picture, art, behavior, conduct, act, action.
- invidious (Intending to cause envious offense)
NounOffensive (countable and uncountable; plural offensives)
- (countable, military) An attack.
- The Marines today launched a major offensive.
- (uncountable) The posture of attacking or being able to attack.
- He took the offensive in the press, accusing his opponent of corruption.
Verbs for Offensive
act on—; assume—; choose—; detail—; dispose to—; launch—; occupy—; plan—; rely on—; take up—; —aggravates; —batters; —drives; —grapples; —harries; — instigates; —invades; —presses; —storms; —strikes.
adverbs distinctly; strikingly; conspicuously; highly; terribly; unexpectedly; boorishly; impertinently; cruelly; bitterly; amazingly; monstrously; daringly; deliberately; purposely; intentionally; unpardonably; inexcusably; execrably; abominably; disagreeably; unnecessarily; unwarrantably; disgracefully; shamefully; aggressively.
Fescennine, Rabelaisian, abhorrent, abominable, abusive, aggravated assault, aggression, aggressive, amphibious attack, antagonistic, appalling, armed assault, arrant, assailing, assailment, assault, atrocious, attack, attacking, awful, backhand, backhanded, bad, bad-smelling, banzai attack, barfy, base, battling, bawdy, beastly, bellicose, belligerent, below contempt, beneath contempt, blameworthy, blitz, blitzkrieg, bloodthirsty, bloody, bloody-minded, blue, boorish, brackish, breakthrough, brutal, caddish, calumnious, charge, chauvinist, chauvinistic, chintzy, cloying, coarse, combative, contemptible, contentious, contumelious, counterattack, counteroffensive, coup de main, crippling attack, crude, dead set at, degrading, deplorable, descent on, despicable, detestable, dire, dirty, disagreeable, discourteous, disgusting, displeasing, disrespectful, diversion, diversionary attack, dreadful, drive, egregious, enemy, enormous, evil, execrable, fecal, ferocious, fetid, fierce, fighting, filthy, flagrant, flank attack, forbidding, foul, foul-mouthed, foul-spoken, foul-tongued, frightful, frontal attack, frowsty, frowy, frowzy, full of fight, fulsome, funky, fusty, gamy, gas attack, ghastly, graveolent, grievous, grim, grisly, gross, gruesome, hateful, hawkish, head-on attack, heinous, hideous, high, horrible, horrid, hostile, humiliating, icky, ignoble, ill-bred, ill-smelling, impertinent, impolite, improper, impudent, impure, in bad taste, inappropriate, inconsiderate, indecent, indecorous, indelicate, inelegant, infamous, infiltration, inimical, insensitive, insolent, insulting, ithyphallic, jingo, jingoish, jingoist, jingoistic, lamentable, left-handed, lewd, lightning attack, lightning war, loathsome, lousy, loutish, louty, lurid, maggoty, malodorous, martial, mass attack, mawkish, megadeath, mephitic, miasmal, miasmic, mildewed, mildewy, militant, militaristic, military, moldy, monstrous, mugging, musty, nasty, nauseant, nauseating, nauseous, nefarious, nidorous, noisome, notorious, noxious, objectionable, obnoxious, obscene, odious, odorous, offense, olid, on the offensive, onset, onslaught, outrageous, overkill, overripe, panzer warfare, pitiable, pitiful, poisonous, pornographic, provocative, pugnacious, push, putrescent, putrid, quarrelsome, rancid, rank, raunchy, reasty, reasy, rebarbative, reechy, reeking, reeky, regrettable, repellent, repelling, reprehensible, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, ribald, rotten, rude, run against, run at, rush, saber-rattling, sad, salacious, sally, sanguinary, sanguineous, savage, scandalous, schlock, scrappy, scurrile, scurrilous, scurvy, shabby, shameful, shock tactics, shocking, shoddy, sickening, smellful, smelling, smelly, smoking-room, smutty, soldierlike, soldierly, sordid, sortie, spoiled, squalid, stenchy, stinking, strike, strong, stuffy, sulfurous, sultry, tactless, tasteless, terrible, threatening, too bad, trigger-happy, truculent, unappetizing, unbecoming, unbeseeming, unchaste, uncivil, unclean, uncongenial, undignified, unfeminine, unfitting, unfriendly, ungenteel, ungentle, ungentlemanly, ungrateful, unladylike, unmannerly, unpacific, unpalatable, unpeaceable, unpeaceful, unpleasant, unprintable, unprovoked assault, unrefined, unrepeatable, unsavory, unseemly, unsolicitous, unspeakable, unsuitable, untasteful, unwholesome, vile, villainous, vomity, vulgar, warlike, warmongering, warring, weevily, woeful, worst, worthless, wretched, yucky
- Offensive in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Offensive in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- feminine form of offensif
Offensive f. (plural Offensives)
- An offensive (military attack).
- offensive (posture of attacking or being able to attack)
- attack, offensive
- Feminine plural form of offensivo
- Plural form of offensiva.