NounOnset (plural Onsets)
- A rushing or setting upon; an attack; an assault; a storming; especially, the assault of an army.
- (medicine) The initial phase of a disease or condition, in which symptoms first become apparent.
- (emergency medicine) (Can we verify(+) this sense?)</span> The first step in OPQRST, investigating when the medical emergency started and what the patient was doing.
- When checking for onset ask opened ended questions like, "what where you doing?"
- (phonology) The initial portion of a syllable, preceding the syllable nucleus.
- (acoustics) The beginning of a musical note or other sound, in which the amplitude rises from zero to an initial peak.
- (obsolete) A setting about; a beginning.
- Francis Bacon,
- There is surely no greater wisdom than well to time the beginnings and onsets of things.
- Francis Bacon,
- (obsolete) Anything set on, or added, as an ornament or as a useful appendage.
Adjectives for Onset
spiteful; insidious; thunderous; brilliant; impetuous; unyielding; intellectual.
A, aggravated assault, aggression, albertype, alpha, amphibious attack, appearance, armed assault, assailing, assailment, assault, attack, banzai attack, beginning, birth, blast-off, blitz, blitzkrieg, book printing, breakthrough, charge, chromotypography, chromotypy, chromoxylography, collotype, color printing, commencement, counterattack, counteroffensive, coup de main, creation, crippling attack, cutting edge, dawn, dawning, dead set at, debut, descent on, diversion, diversionary attack, drive, edge, electronography, electrostatic printing, establishment, flank attack, flying start, foundation, fresh start, frontal attack, gas attack, genesis, graphic arts, gravure, halftone engraving, head-on attack, history of printing, hit, inauguration, inception, infiltration, initiation, institution, job printing, jump-off, kick-off, leading edge, letterpress, letterpress photoengraving, lightning attack, lightning war, line engraving, lithography, lithogravure, lithophotogravure, mass attack, megadeath, mimeograph, mugging, new departure, offense, offensive, offset, offset lithography, oncoming, onrush, onslaught, opening, origin, origination, outbreak, outset, outstart, overkill, palaeotypography, panzer warfare, photo-offset, photochemical process, photoengraving, photogelatin process, photographic reproduction, photography, photolithography, phototypography, phototypy, photozincography, planographic printing, planography, printing, printmaking, publication, publishing, push, raid, relief printing, rotary photogravure, rotogravure, run against, run at, running start, rush, sally, send-off, setout, setting in motion, setting-up, sheetwork, shock tactics, sortie, square one, start, start-off, starting point, stencil, storming, strike, take-off, three-color printing, two-color printing, typography, typolithography, unprovoked assault, wood-block printing, xerography, xeroprinting, xylotypography, zincography