- content to wait if necessary; not losing one's temper while waiting; not bothered with having to wait; not unwilling to wait
NounPatient (plural Patients)
- A person or animal who receives treatment from a doctor or other medically educated person.
- (linguistics, grammar) The noun or noun phrase that is semantically on the receiving end of a verb's action.
- The subject of a passive verb is usually a patient.
- (linguistics, grammar): agent
Adjectives for Patient
bedridden; unruly; noble; satisfied; reluctant; lucrative; passionate; individual; indignant; docile; fever; diabetic; ill; psychopathic; rheumatic; recalcitrant; susceptible; paranoiac; resolved.
Verbs for Patient
caution—; discharge—; examine—; exhaus- —; guard—; hospitalize—; incapacitate—; inspire—; irritate—; nauseate—; refresh—; relieve—; restore—; resurrect—; sponge—; tide—over; —expectorates; —rallies; —recovers; —relapses; —responds to.
Adverbs for Patient
unbelievably; incredibly; sweetly; gently; imperturbably; uncomplainingly; quietly; serenely; wisely; sagaciously; indulgently; genially; tenderly; affectionately; expertly; persistently; indefatigably; placidly; courteously; charmingly; habitually; infinitely: unwearyingly; doggedly; resolutely; amazingly ; uncommonly.
Spartan, accepting, accommodating, acquiescent, apoplectic, armed with patience, arthritic, assiduous, benevolent, bovine, case, charitable, clement, compassionate, compliant, conciliatory, constant, consumptive, continuing, determined, diligent, disciplined, dispassionate, dogged, dull, dyspeptic, easy, easygoing, endurant, enduring, epileptic, even-tempered, faithful, firm, forbearant, forbearing, forgiving, generous, gentle, guinea pig, humane, immutable, impassive, imperturbable, inalterable, incurable, indefatigable, indomitable, indulgent, industrious, inexcitable, inirritable, inpatient, insistent, invalid, invincible, kind, laboratory animal, lasting, lax, lenient, long-suffering, longanimous, loyal, magnanimous, merciful, mild, moderate, never-tiring, obstinate, outpatient, passive, patient as Job, permanent, perseverant, persevering, persistent, persisting, pertinacious, philosophical, placable, plodding, plugging, preoccupied, rapt, relentless, resigned, resolute, resolved, rheumatic, sedulous, self-controlled, self-possessed, serene, shut-in, sick person, single-minded, sleepless, slogging, soft, sparing, spastic, stable, staunch, steadfast, steady, stoic, stoical, stolid, stubborn, subject, submissive, sufferer, tenacious, tender, terminal case, testee, the sick, tireless, tolerant, tolerating, tolerative, unabating, unconquerable, undaunted, understanding, undiscouraged, undisturbable, undrooping, unfailing, unfaltering, unflagging, unflappable, unflinching, unintermitting, uninterrupted, unirritable, unnervous, unnodding, unpassionate, unrelaxing, unrelenting, unremitting, unresentful, unrevengeful, unsleeping, unswerving, untiring, unwavering, unwearied, unwearying, unwinking, unyielding, utterly attentive, valetudinarian, weariless
- Patient in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Patient in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- patient (person or animal who receives treatment from a doctor or other medically educated person)
- IPA: /pasjɛnt/, [pʰaˈɕɛnˀd̥]
- a patient, an outpatient
- a patient