- Definitively laid down; explicitly stated; clearly expressed, precise, emphatic.
- Francis Bacon:
- Positive words, that he would not bear arms against King Edward’s son.
- Francis Bacon:
- Fully assured, confident; certain.
- I’m absolutely positive you've spelt that wrong.
- Overconfident, dogmatic.
- Alexander Pope:
- Some positive, persisting fops we know, That, if once wrong, will needs be always so.
- Alexander Pope:
- (grammar) Describing the primary sense of an adjective or adverb; not comparative or superlative.
- ‘Better’ is an irregular comparative of the positive form ‘good’.
- Derived from an object by itself; not dependent on changing circumstances or relations; absolute.
- The idea of beauty is not positive, but depends on the different tastes of individuals.
- Wholly what is expressed; colloquially downright, entire, outright.
- Good lord, you've built up a positive arsenal of weaponry here.
- Characterized by the existence or presence of qualities or features, rather than by their absence.
- The box was not empty – I felt some positive substance within it.
- Characterized by the presence of features which support a hypothesis.
- The results of our experiment are positive.
- Characterized by affirmation, constructiveness, or influence for the better; favourable.
- He has a positive outlook on life.
- The first-night reviews were largely positive.
- Jonathan Swift:
- a positive voice in legislation.
- (chiefly philosophy) Actual, real, concrete.
- Francis Bacon:
- Positive good.
- Francis Bacon:
- (photography) Of a visual image, true to the original in light, shade and colour values.
- A positive photograph can be developed from a photographic negative.
- (physics) Having more protons than electrons.
- A cation is a positive ion as it has more protons than electrons.
- (mathematics) Of number, greater than zero.
- (slang) HIV positive.
- positive crystal
- positive degree
- positive electricity
- positive eyepiece
- positive law
- positive motion
- positive philosophy
- positive pole
- positive quantity
- positive rotation
- positive sign
- positive contribution
NounPositive (plural Positives)
- A thing capable of being affirmed; something real or actual.
- A favourable point or characteristic.
- Something having a positive value in physics, such as an electric charge.
- (grammar) An adjective or adverb in the positive degree.
- (photography) A positive image; one that displays true colors and shades, as opposed to a negative.
Adverbs for Positive
disagreeably; aggressively; boldly; emphatically; truculently; extravagantly; insolently; audaciously; arrogantly; offensively; blandly; calmly; confidently; astoundingly; monstrously; preposterously; rashly; blatantly.
Ditto copy, Photostat, Xerox, Xerox copy, absolute, accented, accentuated, accordant, actual, admitting no exception, affirmative, affirmatory, agreeable, agreeing, aidful, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, all-out, answerable, apodictic, arbitrary, arrant, arrogant, assertative, assertional, assertive, assured, at one, auspicious, authentic, believing, beneficial, bigoted, blind, blowup, blueprint, bound, cardinal, categorical, certain, cheerful, classical, clear, clear and distinct, clear as day, clear-cut, cocksure, coexistent, coexisting, coherent, coincident, coinciding, commensurate, compatible, complete, complimentary, conceited, conclusive, concordant, concurring, conducive, confident, confirming, conformable, congenial, congruent, congruous, consentaneous, consentient, consistent, consonant, constructive, consummate, contact print, contact printing, contributory, convinced, convincing, cooperating, cooperative, correspondent, corresponding, crass, cyanotype, de facto, deaf, decided, decimal, decisive, declarative, declaratory, definite, definitive, despotic, determinate, determined, devout, dictatorial, differential, digital, doctrinaire, doctrinarian, dogmatic, dogmatizing, doubtless, downright, egregious, emphasized, emphatic, en rapport, encouraging, energetic, enlargement, enthusiastic, entire, equivalent, even, explicit, exponential, express, factual, faithful, favorable, fideistic, figural, figurate, figurative, final, finite, firm, fixed, flagrant, flat, flat-out, for real, forceful, forcible, fractional, functional, furthersome, genuine, glaring, global, glossy, good for, gross, hard, hard-nosed, harmonious, hectograph copy, helpful, historical, hologram, honest-to-God, hubristic, imaginary, impair, imperious, implicit, impossible, impress, impressed with, impression, in accord, in agreement, in rapport, in red letters, in sync, in synchronization, inaccordance, inappealable, incontestable, incontrovertible, indisputable, indubitable, ineluctable, inevitable, infinite, inharmony, integral, intolerable, irrational, irrefutable, italicized, lantern slide, like-minded, logarithmic, logometric, matte, matter-of-fact, microcopy, microprint, mimeograph copy, minus, necessary, negative, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, obdurate, obstinate, odd, of a piece, of like mind, of one mind, offprint, on all fours, opinionated, opinionative, opinioned, optimistic, oracular, ordinal, out-and-out, outright, overconfident, oversure, overweening, pair, peremptory, perfect, perfectly sure, persuaded, persuasive, photocopy, photograph, photogravure, photostatic copy, pietistic, pigheaded, pious, pistic, plus, pointed, poised, pompous, pontifical, positivistic, possible, practical, pragmatical, precious, predestined, predetermined, predicational, predicative, prime, print, productive, profitable, profound, projection printing, promising, pronounced, pronunciative, proof, proper, propitious, proportionate, proud, punctuated, radical, rank, rational, real, realistic, reasonable, reassured, reassuring, reciprocal, reconcilable, regular, reliable, remedial, reprint, round, salutary, satisfied, secure, self-assured, self-confident, self-consistent, self-important, self-opinionated, self-opinioned, self-reliant, semi-matte, serviceable, shattering, sheer, shocking, slide, sold on, sound, specific, stark, stark-staring, starred, stat, straight, straight-out, stressed, stubborn, submultiple, substantial, superlative, supportive, surd, sure, sure-enough, surpassing, symbiotic, synchronized, synchronous, the veriest, therapeutic, thorough, thoroughgoing, total, transcendental, transparency, true, unafraid, unambiguous, unanimous, unbearable, uncircumscribed, unconditional, unconditioned, unconscionable, uncontestable, uncontested, undeniable, under the impression, underlined, underscored, undoubtful, undoubting, unequivocal, unfaltering, unhampered, unhesitating, uniform, unisonant, unisonous, univocal, unlimited, unmistakable, unmitigated, unpersuadable, unqualified, unquestionable, unquestioned, unquestioning, unrelieved, unreserved, unrestricted, unspoiled, unwaivable, unwavering, upbeat, useful, utilitarian, utter, veritable, whole, without exception, without reserve, yes
- The translations below need to be checked.
- feminine form of positif
- first-person singular present indicative of positiver
- third-person singular present indicative of positiver
- first-person singular present subjunctive of positiver
- third-person singular present subjunctive of positiver
- second-person singular imperative of positiver
positive f. pl.
- feminine plural form of positivo
- vocative masculine singular of positīvus
- absolute definite natural masculine form of positiv.