- Favouring fundamental change, or change at the root cause of a matter.
- His beliefs are radical.
- (botany, not comparable) Of or pertaining to a root (of a plant).
- Of or pertaining to the intrinsic nature of something.
- The spread of the cancer required radical surgery, and the entire organ was removed.
- (linguistics, not comparable) Of or pertaining to the root of a word.
- (chemistry, not comparable) Involving free radicals
- (slang) Excellent.
- That was a radical jump!
- radical empiricism
- radical feminism
- radical left
- radical pluralism
- radical reform
- radical right
- radical Islam
- radical vinegar
NounRadical (plural Radicals)
- (historical: 19th-century England) A member of the most progressive wing of the Liberal Party; someone favouring social reform (but generally stopping short of socialism).
- (historical: early 20th-century France) A member of an influential, centrist political party favouring moderate social reform, a republican constitution, and secular politics.
- A person with radical opinions.
- (arithmetic) A root (of a number or quantity).
- (linguistics) In logographic writing systems as the Chinese writing system, the portion of a character (if any) that provides an indication of its meaning, as opposed to phonetic.
- (linguistics) In Semitic languages, any one of the set of consonants (typically three) that make up a root.
- (chemistry) A group of atoms, joined by covalent bonds, that take part in reactions as a single unit.
- (organic chemistry) A free radical.
Adjectives for Radical
avowed; univalent; unreasonable; ill-balanced.
Verbs for Radical
—contaminates; —corrupts; —demoralizes; —disparages; —fulminates; —harangues; —heckles; —ignites; —impairs; —pillories; —poisons; —pollutes; —raves; —taints; —undermines; —vituperates; —anathematizes; —cankers; —condemns.
Adverbs for Radical
boldly; daringly; definitely; distinctly; deeply; thoroughly; uncompromisingly; sweepingly; appallingly; necessarily; downright.
Bolshevik, Bolshevist, Fabian, Gospel side, IC analysis, Jacobin, Kekule formula, Wobbly, ab ovo, aboriginal, absolute, accidence, acid, acidity, advanced, affix, affixation, agent, agitator, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, alkali, alkalinity, all-embracing, all-encompassing, all-inclusive, all-out, all-pervading, alloisomer, allomorph, anarchist, anarchistic, anarcho-syndicalist, anion, antacid, arrowhead, at the height, at the limit, atom, atomic cluster, basal, base, basement, basic, basilar, basis, bearing wall, bed, bedding, bedrock, beginning, benzene ring, biochemical, born, bottom, bound morpheme, branched chain, broad, broad-based, broad-minded, cantorial side, cardinal, cataclysmic, catastrophic, cation, central, chain, character, chemical, chemical element, chromoisomer, clean, clear, closed chain, commencement, communist, complete, compound, compound radical, comprehensive, conception, congenital, conjugation, constituent, constitutional, constitutive, consummate, copolymer, corrective, counterclockwise, crucial, cuneiform, cutting, cycle, decimal, declension, deep, deep-dyed, deep-seated, demotic character, derivation, determinative, difference of form, differential, digital, dimer, downright, drastic, dyad, dyed-in-the-wool, egregious, element, elemental, elementary, embryonic, emendatory, enclitic, entire, essential, even, exhaustive, exponential, extreme, extreme left-winger, extremist, extremistic, fanatic, fanatical, far out, figural, figurate, figurative, finite, floor, flooring, fond, footing, formative, foundation, foundational, fractional, free form, fundament, fundamental, furthest, generative, genesis, genetic, germinal, gradualistic, grammalogue, grass roots, greatest, ground, grounds, groundwork, gut, hardpan, head, heavy chemicals, heptad, heterocycle, hexad, hieratic symbol, hieroglyph, hieroglyphic, hieroglyphics, high polymer, hiragana, homocycle, homopolymer, hydracid, ideogram, ideograph, imaginary, immediate constituent analysis, immoderate, impair, impossible, in embryo, in ovo, inception, infinite, infix, infixation, inflection, inherent, inorganic chemical, insurgent, insurrectionary, insurrectionist, integral, intensive, intrinsic, ion, irrational, isomer, kana, katakana, larboard, lattice, left, left hand, left wing, left-hand, left-hand side, left-wing, left-wing extremist, left-winger, left-wingish, leftist, levorotatory, liberal, logarithmic, logogram, logograph, logometric, lunatic fringe, macromolecule, material, meliorist, melioristic, metamer, mild radical, mildly radical, militant, molecule, monad, monomer, morph, morpheme, morphemic analysis, morphemics, morphology, morphophonemics, most, natural, near, near side, negative, neutralizer, nigh, nihilist, nihilistic, nonacid, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, octad, odd, of the essence, ogham, omnibus, omnipresent, ordinal, organic, organic chemical, origin, original, origination, out-and-out, outright, oxyacid, pair, paradigm, parlor Bolshevik, parlor pink, pavement, pentad, perfect, pervasive, phonetic, phonetic symbol, pictogram, pictograph, pink, pinko, plain, plumb, polymer, port, port tack, portside, positive, possible, prefix, prefixation, pregnant, primal, primary, prime, primeval, primitive, primordial, principal, principle, pristine, proclitic, profound, progressionist, progressist, progressive, progressivist, protogenic, provenience, pseudoisomer, pure, rabid, radix, rational, reagent, rebel, reciprocal, red, reformational, reformative, reformatory, reformer, reformist, reformistic, regular, revisional, revisionist, revisory, revolutional, revolutionary, revolutionist, revulsionary, revulsive, ring, riprap, rise, rock bottom, root, rudiment, rudimentary, rune, sans-culotte, seat, secessionist, seminal, separatist, severe, sheer, shorthand, side chain, sill, simple radical, sinister, sinistral, sinistrocerebral, sinistrocular, sinistrogyrate, sinistrorse, solid ground, solid rock, source, space-lattice, stem, stereobate, stock, straight, straight chain, stylobate, submultiple, substantial, substantive, substratum, substruction, substructure, subversive, suffix, suffixation, sulfacid, surd, sweeping, syndicalist, taproot, terra firma, tetrad, theme, thorough, thoroughgoing, through-and-through, tolerant, too much, total, transcendental, transilient, triad, trimer, ubiquitous, ultra, ultra-ultra, ultraconservative, ultraist, ultraistic, unconditional, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underlying, underpinning, understruction, understructure, universal, unmitigated, unqualified, unreserved, unrestricted, utmost, utopian, utopist, utter, uttermost, veritable, verso, vital, way out, wedge, wholesale, wide, word letter, word-formation, wrong side, yippie, zealot
- The translations below need to be checked.
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Radical in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Radical in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- IPA: /ʁa.di.kal/, X-SAMPA: /Ra.di.kal/
Audio (France, Paris) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -al
- Homophones: radicale, radicales
Radical m. (plural radicais)
- radical (in various senses)