- Concerning religion.
- It is the job of this court to rule on legal matters. We do not consider religious issues.
- Committed to the practice of religion.
- I was much more religious as a teenager than I am now.
- Highly dedicated, as one would be to a religion.
- I'm a religious fan of college basketball.
NounReligious (plural religious)
- A member of a religious order.
- I am only one religious among the many religious of this church.
Christian, Christianlike, Christianly, God-fearing, Mariological, abbacomes, abbot, accurate, adoring, anthropomorphic, anthropotheistic, ascetic, attentive, awesome, awful, beadsman, believing, brother, caloyer, canonic, careful, celibate, cenobite, churchgoing, close, conscientious, constant, conventual, conventual prior, correct, cosmotheistic, critical, cultish, cultist, cultistic, deistic, delicate, demanding, detailed, devoted, devout, direct, ditheistic, divine, doctrinal, doctrinary, dutiful, ethical, even, exact, exacting, exigent, express, exquisite, faithful, fastidious, fine, finical, finicking, finicky, friar, fussy, godly, grand prior, heavenly, hermit, hieromonach, holy, honest, honorable, ineffable, inenarrable, inerrable, inerrant, inexpressible, infallible, inviolable, inviolate, just, lay abbot, lay brother, mathematical, mendicant, meticulous, micrometrically precise, microscopic, minute, monastic, monk, monotheistic, moral, narrow, nice, noble, numinous, overconscientious, overscrupulous, palmer, pantheistic, particular, physicomorphic, physicotheological, pietistic, pilgrim, pillar saint, pillarist, pinpoint, pious, polytheistic, prayerful, precise, precisianistic, precisionistic, prior, punctilious, punctual, refined, religieux, religiously exact, reverent, reverential, righteous, rigid, rigorous, sacred, sacrosanct, scientific, scientifically exact, scrupulous, scrutinizing, severe, solemn, spiritual, spiritual-minded, square, staunch, steadfast, strict, stylite, subtle, tender-conscienced, theistic, theological, tritheistic, true, undeviating, unerring, unspeakable, unswerving, untouchable, unutterable, upright, venerable, venerational, venerative, virtuous, worshipful
Various theories exist:
- From the Latin religio, "respect for what is sacred".
- Latin re- and legere -- "to read again".
- Latin religare, "to bind".
- The translations below need to be checked.