Remains (plural only; not used in singular form)
- What is left after a person (or any organism) dies; a corpse.
- They buried the remains of their longtime friend in the town cemetery.
- The victim's remains were one small piece of bone.
- A relic of an ancient building or other structure.
- All that is left of the stock of some things; remnants.
- He couldn't bring himself to eat the remains of the chicken dinner.
- (rare) Plural form of remain.
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of remain.
- We'll go ahead, while she remains here.
Adjectives for Remains
mangled; undemolished; mutilated; honored; numerous; jagged; august; fossilized; dreary; lifeless; insensible; imperishable; charred; mortal; architectural; heterogeneous; comic; disinterred; dingy; scattered; petrified; colorless; archaeological.
Verbs for Remains
cart away—; conceal—; consign—to; cremate—; disinter—; dispose of—; dissect—; embalm—; entomb—; exhume—; expose—; honor—; inter—; mummify—; rescue—; ship—; trace—.
account, afterglow, afterimage, ancient manuscript, annals, antique, antiquity, archaism, artifact, ashes, balance, body, bones, butt, butt end, cadaver, candle ends, carcass, carrion, catalog, cave painting, chaff, chronicle, clay, corpse, corpus delicti, correspondence, crowbait, dead body, dead man, dead person, debris, decedent, detritus, documentation, dry bones, dust, earth, embalmed corpse, end, eolith, fag end, filings, food for worms, fossil, heel, history, holdover, husks, inventory, late lamented, leavings, leftovers, letters, list, memorial, mezzolith, microlith, mortal remains, mummification, mummy, neolith, odds and ends, offscourings, organic remains, orts, paleolith, parings, petrification, petrified forest, petrified wood, petroglyph, pipe roll, plateaulith, rags, record, recording, refuse, register, registry, relic, relics, reliquiae, remainder, remnant, residual, residue, residuum, rest, roach, roll, rolls, roster, rota, rubbish, ruin, ruins, rump, sawdust, scourings, scraps, scroll, shadow, shavings, skeleton, stiff, straw, stubble, stump, survival, sweepings, table, tenement of clay, the dead, the deceased, the defunct, the departed, the loved one, token, trace, vestige, waste