- Bad mannered.
- Obscene, pornographic, offensive.
- Tough, robust.
- Undeveloped, unskilled, basic.
- year?, 2 Corinthians 11:6, King James Bible
- But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge
- year?, Rudyard Kipling, The Conundrum of the Workshops
- When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
- Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
- And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
- Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
- 1767, Adam Ferguson, An Essay on the History of Civil Society
- It might be apprehended, that among rude nations, where the means of subsistence are procured with so much difficulty, the mind could never raise itself above the consideration of this subject
- year?, 2 Corinthians 11:6, King James Bible
- Hearty, vigorous; found particularly in the phrase rude health.
- See also Thesaurus:impolite
Adverbs for Rude
coarsely; ignorantly; bitterly; boorishly; naturally; characteristically; inexcusably; unnecessarily; vulgarly; unintentionally; indefensibly; awkwardly; particularly; contemptibly; inordinately; unwittingly; colossally; shockingly; drunkenly; churlishly; disrespectfully; impudently; mischievously; moodily; morosely; coolly; unpardonably; unpleasantly; disagreeably; deliberately; boisterously; offensively; unconsciously; artlessly; insufferably; innately; unceremoniously.
Doric, Gothic, Philistine, angular, approximate, arrested, artless, awkward, backward, barbaric, barbarous, bare, baseborn, basic, bawdy, below the salt, benighted, biggety, bluff, bold, bookless, boorish, bouncing, brash, brassy, brazen, brusque, bumbling, cacophonic, cacophonous, callow, cheeky, choked, churlish, chutzpadik, clownish, clumsy, coarse, cockney, cocky, common, commonplace, contemptuous, crabbed, cracked, crass, croaking, croaky, crude, crusty, curt, deceived, derisive, dirty, discordant, discourteous, disharmonic, disharmonious, disrespectful, doggerel, dry, dysphemistic, earthy, embryonic, empty-headed, facy, filthy, flip, flippant, flush, fresh, functionally illiterate, gally, gauche, gaudy, graceless, grammarless, gratuitous, green, gross, gruff, guttural, hale, hale and hearty, hardy, harsh, harsh-sounding, hearty, heathen, hoarse, homely, homespun, hoodwinked, humble, husky, ill, ill-bred, ill-educated, ill-mannered, illiterate, imperfect, impertinent, impolite, imprecise, improper, impudent, impure, in bad taste, in embryo, in ovo, in the rough, inaccurate, inaffable, inartistic, inconcinnate, inconcinnous, incorrect, indecent, indecorous, indelicate, inelegant, inexact, inexpert, infelicitous, inharmonic, inharmonious, insolent, insulting, intrusive, inurbane, know-nothing, led astray, lewd, loud, loutish, low, lowborn, lowbred, lowbrow, lowly, lubricious, lubricous, lumpy, lusty, makeshift, malapert, mannerless, mean, meddlesome, meretricious, metallic, misinformed, misinstructed, misshapen, mistaught, naughty, nervy, nonclerical, nonintellectual, oafish, obscene, offensive, ordinary, outlandish, outrageous, oversimple, pagan, pert, plain, plebeian, pornographic, primitive, proximate, ragged, raucid, raucous, raw, reductionistic, reductive, ribald, robust, robustious, robustuous, rough, rough-hewn, roughcast, roughhewn, roupy, rudimental, rudimentary, rugged, sassy, saucy, savage, shabby-genteel, simple, simplistic, smart, smart-alecky, smart-ass, smutty, squawking, squawky, stalwart, stertorous, stout, strangled, strong, stunted, sturdy, surly, taboo, tactless, tasteless, thick, third-estate, throaty, tinny, unaccommodating, unblown, unbooked, unbookish, unbooklearned, unbriefed, uncalled-for, unceremonious, uncivil, uncivilized, uncomplaisant, unconversant, uncourteous, uncourtly, uncouth, uncultivated, uncultured, uncut, underdeveloped, undeveloped, undignified, undressed, unedified, uneducated, unerudite, uneuphonious, unfashioned, unfelicitous, unfinished, unformed, ungallant, ungenteel, ungentlemanly, ungraceful, ungracious, unguided, unhandsome, unharmonious, unhewn, uninstructed, unintellectual, unlabored, unladylike, unlearned, unlettered, unlicked, unliterary, unmannered, unmannerly, unpolished, unpolite, unpracticed, unprocessed, unread, unrefined, unscholarly, unschooled, unseemly, unskilled, unstudious, untaught, untreated, untutored, unversed, unworked, unwrought, vigorous, vital, vulgar, wild, wise-ass
- Rhymes: -uːd
- The translations below need to be checked.
- Rude in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Rude in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- Rude at OneLook Dictionary Search
- (botany) rue (various perennial shrubs of the genus Ruta)
- 15px Rude on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia
- 15px Rude-familien on the Danish Wikipedia.da.Wikipedia:Rude-familien
- IPA: /ruːdə/, [ˈʁuːðə]
Borrowed from Latin rudis.