- Broken into sharp or irregular points; full of asperities on the surface, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road.
- Not neat or regular; irregular, uneven.
- Rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
- Harsh; austere; hard; crabbed; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
- Stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
- Harsh; grating; rough to the ear -- said of sound, style, and the like.
- Sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc.
- Violent; rude; boisterous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc.
- Vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc.
Herculean, Spartan, Spartanic, abstruse, adamantine, arduous, asperous, astringent, austere, authoritarian, beefy, bitter, bold, bouncing, brawny, broken, brutal, bulky, bumpy, burdensome, burly, churlish, clownish, cockled, cockly, complex, corrugate, corrugated, cragged, craggy, creased, crimped, crimpy, crinkled, crinkly, critical, crude, crumpled, delicate, demanding, dense, difficile, difficult, doughty, dour, dry, durable, enduring, exacting, exigent, firm, flush, forceful, forcible, forcy, formidable, full-blooded, full-strength, furrowed, grating, gravelly, grim, gutsy, gutty, hairy, hale, hale and hearty, hard, hard as nails, hard-earned, hard-fought, hardy, harsh, hearty, heavy, hefty, hoarse, husky, ill-bred, inclement, independent, individualistic, intemperate, intricate, iron-hard, ironbound, irregular, jagged, jaggy, jarring, jawbreaking, knitted, knotted, knotty, laborious, lasting, loutish, lubberly, lumpish, lusty, massive, mean, meticulous, mighty, muscular, nervy, no picnic, not easy, obstinate, onerous, operose, pitted, potent, powerful, puckered, puckery, puissant, pursed, pursy, ragged, rasping, raucous, red-blooded, ridged, rigorous, rimpled, rippled, robust, robustious, robustuous, rockbound, rocky, rough, rough-and-ready, rucked, rude, rugose, rugous, rumpled, saw-toothed, sawtooth, scabrous, scragged, scraggly, scraggy, self-confident, self-reliant, self-sufficient, serrate, serrated, set with thorns, severe, snagged, snaggled, snaggy, solid, sound, spiny, stable, stalwart, steady, steely, steep, stern, stony, stout, strapping, strenuous, strict, stridulous, stringent, strong, strong as brandy, strong as strong, strong-willed, sturdy, thorny, ticklish, toilsome, tough, tricky, uncivilized, uncouth, uncultured, uneven, ungentle, ungraceful, unlevel, unpolished, unrefined, unsmooth, unsparing, unyielding, uphill, vigorous, vital, well-built, well-constructed, well-founded, well-grounded, well-made, wicked, wrinkled, wrinkly
- Rugged in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Rugged at OneLook Dictionary Search