Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
From Latin schola.
NounSchola (plural Scholas)
- Originally, a musical school attached to a monastery or church. Also known as a schola cantorum.
- Today, a group of musicians, particularly one which specializes in liturgical music.
- Leisure time given to learning.
- A school; a place for learning or instruction.
- A student body; the disciples of a teacher.
- A sect; body of followers of a teacher or system, such as the Praetorian guard.
- An art gallery.
- Schola in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879