- Succeeding next in order to the first; of second place, origin, rank, rank, etc.; not primary; subordinate; not of the first order or rate.
- Acting by deputation or delegated authority; as, the work of secondary hands.
- Possessing some quality, or having been subject to some operation (as substitution), in the second degree; as, a secondary salt, a secondary amine, etc. Compare primary.
- (geology) Subsequent in origin; -- said of minerals produced by alteration or deposition subsequent to the formation of the original rocks mass; also of characters of minerals (as secondary cleavage, etc.) developed by pressure or other causes.
- (zootomy) Pertaining to the second joint of the wing of a bird.
- (medicine) Dependent or consequent upon another disease; as, Bright's disease is often secondary to scarlet fever; or occurring in the second stage of a disease; as, the secondary symptoms of syphilis.
- Of less than primary importance.
- (of a color) Formed by mixing primary colors.
- Yellow is a secondary light color, though a primary CMYK color.
NounSecondary (plural secondaries)
- Used as an abbreviation to refer to items with names containing secondary.
- (ornithology) Any flight feather attached to the ulna (forearm) of a bird.
- (finance) An act of issuing more stock by an already publicly traded corporation.
- (American football), (Canadian football) The defensive backs.
Janus-like, Maxwell triangle, Munsell scale, accessory, accident, accidental, addendum, addition, additional, adjunct, adscititious, adventitious, advocate, agent, alter ego, alternate, alternative, ambidextrous, amicus curiae, analogy, ancillary, appendage, appurtenance, appurtenant, ascititious, assistant, attorney, auxiliary, backup, backup man, bifacial, bifold, biform, bilateral, binary, binate, biparous, bivalent, borrowed, casual, champion, change, changeling, chromatic circle, chromatic spectrum, chromaticity diagram, circumstantial, cog, collateral, color circle, color cycle, color index, color mixture curve, color solid, color spectrum, color system, color triangle, coming, common, commonality, commonalty, comparison, complementary color, conduplicate, consequent, contingency, contingent, copied, copy, counterfeit, covert, creature, demeaning, demitint, dependent, deputy, derivational, derivative, derived, dinky, disadvantaged, disomatous, double, double-faced, dual, dummy, duple, duplex, duplicate, employee, equal, equivalent, ersatz, eventual, exchange, executive officer, exponent, extra, fake, feather, feathers, figurehead, fill-in, final, flunky, follower, fortuitous, full color, fundamental colors, geminate, geminated, ghost, ghostwriter, hackle, half tint, halftone, happenstance, helper, hoi polloi, hue cycle, humble, imitated, imitation, in the shade, incidental, indirect, inessential, inferior, infra dig, insignificant, junior, last, less, lesser, lieutenant, lightweight, locum, locum tenens, low, low-priority, lower, lower class, lower orders, lowly, mail, makeshift, marginal, masses, mere chance, metamer, metaphor, metonymy, minor, mock, modest, monochrome, next best thing, no great shakes, nonessential, not-self, of no account, of no consequence, of no matter, of no significance, ordinary, other, paranymph, pawn, personnel, phony, pinch, pinch hitter, pleader, plumage, poor relation, primary, primary color, procurator, provisional, proxy, pure color, relief, replacement, representative, reserve, reserves, resultant, right-hand man, ringer, scrub, second, second fiddle, second in command, second rank, second string, secondary color, secondhand, servant, servile, sign, small, small-fry, small-time, solar spectrum, spare, spares, spectral color, spectrum, spectrum color, speculum, stand-in, stopgap, sub, subaltern, subject, subordinate, subsequent, subservient, subsidiary, substituent, substitute, substitution, succedaneum, superadded, superaddition, superfluous, superseder, supervenient, supplanter, supplement, supplemental, supplementary, supporting, supportive, surrogate, symbol, synecdoche, temporary, tentative, tertiary, tertiary color, third rank, third string, third stringer, token, tributary, twin, twinned, two-faced, two-level, two-ply, two-sided, two-story, twofold, ultimate, under, underling, underprivileged, understrapper, understudy, unessential, unimportant, unoriginal, utility, utility man, utility player, vicar, vicar general, vicarious, vice, vice-president, vice-regent, vicegerent, vulgar, yes-man
From Latin secundarius.