NounSelvage (countable and uncountable; plural selvages)
- (sewing) The edge of a woven fabric, where the weft (side-to-side) threads run around the warp (top to bottom) threads, creating a finished edge.
- Any edge of fabric finished so as to prevent raveling.
- (printing) The excess area of any printed or perforated sheet, such as the border on a sheet of postage stamps or the wide margins of an engraving.
- (geology) A distinct border of a mass of igneous rock. It is usually fine-grained or glassy due to rapid cooling.
- (geology) Clay-like material found along and around a geological fault.
bank, beading, binding, board, border, bordering, bordure, brim, brink, brow, coast, edge, edging, featheredge, fimbria, fimbriation, flange, flounce, frame, frill, frilling, fringe, furbelow, galloon, hem, labellum, labium, labrum, ledge, limb, limbus, lip, list, marge, margin, motif, ragged edge, rim, ruffle, shore, side, sideline, skirt, skirting, trimming, valance, verge, welt