NounShape (plural Shapes)
- The status or condition of something
- The used bookshop wouldn't offer much due to the poor shape of the book.
- Condition of personal health, especially muscular health.
- The vet checked to see what kind of shape the animal was in.
- We exercise to keep in good physical shape.
- The appearance of something, especially its outline.
- He cut a square shape out of the cake.
- A figure with unspecified appearance; especially a geometric figure.
- What shape shall we use for the cookies? Stars, circles, or diamonds?
- See also Thesaurus:shape
- (transitive) To give something a shape and definition.
- Shape the dough into a pretzel.
- For my art project, I plan to shape my clay lump into a bowl.
- 1932, The American Scholar, page 227, United Chapters of Phi Beta Kappa
- The professor never pretended to the academic prerogative of forcing his students into his own channels of reasoning; he entered into and helped shape the discussion but above all he made his men learn to think for themselves and rely upon their own intellectual judgments.
- To manouevre something into a certain shape.
- 2010 Mark Vesty Wigan 2 - 2 Arsenal
- Bendtner's goal-bound shot was well saved by goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi but fell to Arsahvin on the edge of the area and the Russian swivelled, shaped his body and angled a sumptuous volley into the corner.
- (of a country, person, etc) To give influence to.
Adjectives for Shape
vague; graceful; fundamental; sublime; stray; vampire; manifold (pi); imagined; lordly; phantom; ultimate; globular; nobler; streaming; slim; articulate; withered; invisible; various (pi) ; questionable; uniform; unaccustomed; goodly; delicate; monstrous; expanded; chimerical; clownish archaic; convenient; cowled; gaudy; false coarser; uncouth; transitory; prodigious obscene; execrable; original; orthodox; delusive; lusty; checkered; perfect; glorious exquisite; stalwart; airy; tangible; dim minutest; distinctive; oblong; unimagined quaint; imposing; stately; pillared; elliptic gross; human; unique; pigmy; symmetrical; castled; alien; swarthy; habitable; nameless; peculiar; frightful; loathly.
Verbs for Shape
alter—; caricaturize—; define—; delineate —; depict—; determine—; dim—; discern —; disguise—; distort—; draft—; hack at —; hack into—; hew into—; knead—; lick into—; modify—; mold—; obscure—; out¬line—; pad—; perceive—; regard—; sketch —; twist into—; —assumes; —suggests.
Adverbs for Shape
adroitly; divinely; deftly; skillfully; professionally; gracefully; delicately; conveniently; conventionally; exquisitely; distinctively; quaintly; elliptically; symmetrically.
Masan, Platonic form, Platonic idea, accommodate, accommodate with, accord, adapt, adapt to, adjust, adjust to, adjustment, aesthetic form, affect, agree with, anatomy, angle, apparition, appearance, archetype, architectonics, architecture, aroma, arrange, arrangement, art form, aspect, assemble, assimilate to, astral, astral spirit, attribute, bad condition, badge, bake, banshee, be guided by, bend, block out, blood, body, body-build, brand, breed, build, building, cachet, calculate, carve, case, cast, change, character, characteristic, chime in with, chisel, clan, coin, color, complexion, comply, comply with, compose, composition, compound, conceit, conceive, conceptualize, concert, concoct, condition, configuration, conform, conformation, constitution, construct, construction, contours, contrive, control, correct, correspond, create, creation, cut, cut out, decree, define, denomination, departed spirit, description, design, designation, determine, develop, devise, differentia, differential, discipline, disembodied spirit, disguise, distinctive feature, dream up, duppy, dybbuk, earmark, effect, efform, eidolon, elaborate, embody in words, erect, estate, evolve, experience imaginatively, express, extrude, fabric, fabricate, fabrication, facet, fall in with, false image, fancy, fantasize, fantasy, fashion, fashioning, feather, feature, fettle, fictionalize, figuration, figure, fire, fit, fitness, fix, flavor, follow, forecast, forge, forging, form, formalize, format, formation, formulate, found, frame, fudge together, gear to, genre, genus, gestalt, get up, getup, ghost, glaze, go by, good condition, govern, grain, grateful dead, guide, guise, gust, hack, hallmark, hant, harmonize, hatch, haunt, hew, ideate, idiocrasy, idiosyncrasy, idolum, ilk, image, imagine, imago, immateriality, impress, impression, improve, incorporeal, incorporeal being, incorporeity, index, indite, individualism, influence, inner form, intend, invent, keynote, kidney, kilter, kin, kind, knead, knock out, label, larva, lay out, lay plans, layout, lemures, lick into shape, light, likeness, line, lineaments, lines, look, lot, make, make a projection, make arrangements, make conform, make up, makeup, making, manes, manner, mannerism, manufacture, mark, marking, materialization, materialize, matrix, mature, meet, methodize, mint, mirage, modality, mode, model, modify, mold, molding, mould, nature, number, observe, odor, oni, order, organic structure, organism, organization, organize, originate, particularity, patch together, pattern, patterning, peculiarity, person, persuasion, phantasm, phantasma, phantasmagoria, phantom, phase, phasis, phasm, phenomenon, phylum, physique, piece together, plan, plan ahead, poltergeist, pot, prearrange, prefabricate, prepare, presence, proceed, produce, production, profile, program, progress, project, property, prototype, put, put together, put up, quality, quirk, race, raise, rationalize, rear, reconcile, rectify, reference, regard, regulate, remodel, repair, respect, revenant, rough out, roughcast, rub off corners, run up, savor, schedule, schematize, sculpt, sculpture, seal, seeming, semblance, set, set up, settle, setup, shade, shadow, shape up, shaping, show improvement, shrouded spirit, side, significant form, silhouette, simulacrum, singularity, slant, smack, sort, specialty, species, specter, spectral ghost, spirit, spook, sprite, stamp, state, status, straighten, strain, stripe, structure, structuring, style, suit, suppose, systematize, tailor, taint, take form, take shape, tally with, tang, taste, tectonics, tenor, texture, the like of, the likes of, theophany, thermoform, think up, throw, tissue, token, tone, total effect, trait, tribe, trick, trim, turn, turn a pot, twist, type, unsubstantiality, variety, view, viewpoint, vision, waking dream, walking dead man, wandering soul, warp and woof, way, weave, web, whack, whomp up, wildest dream, wise, word, work, work out, work up, wraith, write, yield, zombie
Old English sceap
- The translations below need to be checked.