NounSpace (countable and uncountable; plural Spaces)
- The intervening contents of a volume.
- (uncountable) Space occupied by or intended for a person or thing.
- (countable) An area or volume of sufficient size to accommodate a person or thing.
- A while.
- The volume beyond the atmosphere of planets that consists of a relative vacuum.
- The volume beyond the Kármán line that lies 100km above mean sea level of the Earth.
- A gap between written or printed letters, numbers, characters, or lines; a blank.
- (letterpress typography) A piece of metal type used to separate words, cast lower than other type so as not to take ink, especially one that is narrower than one en (compare quad).
- (geometry) A set of points, each of which is uniquely specified by a set of coordinates; the number of coordinates specifying a point and the number of mutually perpendicular axes along which the coordinates lie are the same, and that is the number of dimensions of the space.
- One's personal freedom to think or be oneself.
- The state of mind one is in when daydreaming.
- (mathematics) a generalized construct or set, the members of which have certain properties in common; often used in combination with the name of a particular mathematician
- (Indian philosophy) One of the five basic elements.
- (obsolete, intransitive) To roam, walk, wander.
- 1596, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, IV.ii:
- But she as Fayes are wont, in priuie place / Did spend her dayes, and lov'd in forests wyld to space.
- 1596, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, IV.ii:
- (transitive) To be separated to a distance.
- The cities are evenly spaced.
- (intransitive) To eject into outer space. Usually without a space suit.
- The captain spaced the traitors.
Adjectives for Space
shoreless; encumbered; furlong; ample; plenteous; eternal; coming; boundless; allotted; inconsiderable; porous; astonishing; globular; unnecessary; limitless; tumultuous; immense; adequate; stabling; intervening; trackless; vast; endless; editorial; unoccupied; wide; infinite; successive (plural); watery; projecting; sufficient; weary; choking; unbounded; awful; pervading; shaded; hoary; stellar; vaulted; neutral; storage; restricted; azure; generous; interminable; imaginary; dimensional; intermediate; ethereal; tenantless; breathing; grudging; surface; mightiest; betokened; available; soundless; angry.
Verbs for Space
acquire—; augment—; confine to—; cramp for—; dash—; define—; determine—; devote—; diminish—; encamp on—; estimate—; evacuate—; extend—; grant—; insert in—; lack—; limit—; lodge in—; narrow—; nestle in—; penetrate—; permeate—; pervade—; provide—; regulate—; stare in—; tenant—; transmit through—; withdraw from—; —accommodates; —dwindles; —ex¬pands ; —ranges.
spherical, split, spread, staff, stage, stair, standard, stave, step, stereoscopic, stint, stoma, stowage, stratosphere, stretch, stride, substratosphere, superficial, surface, swing, tail wind, tense, term, terrain, territory, the future, the past, the present, the void, the void above, thick space, thin space, three-dimensional, three-mile limit, throwing open, tide, time, time interval, time lag, timebinding, tolerance, tonnage, transcendental, transmundane, tread, tropopause, troposphere, trough, turbulence, twelve-mile limit, two-dimensional, uncorking, unstopping, vicinage, vicinity, visibility, visibility zero, volume, volumetric, wait, way, ways, whet, while, wide berth, yawn, zone, 3-D, CAT, accommodation, aerospace, aerosphere, aesthetic distance, air hole, air pocket, airspace, alien, align, allocate, allot, amount, ample scope, amplitude, aperture, apportion, area, arrange, array, astronomical unit, bar, bar line, belt, berth, bit, blank, blank check, brace, breadth, break, broaching, bump, burden, caesura, caliber, capacity, carte blanche, cavity, ceiling, celestial spaces, chaos, chasm, check, chronology, clearance, clearing, cleft, collocate, compass, compose, confines, content, continental shelf, continuity, cordage, corridor, cosmic space, country, crack, crosswind, cubic, cut, day, deal, deal out, deep space, degree, department, depths of space, dimensional, disclosure, discontinuity, dispart, dispose, distance, distance between, distribute, district, divergence, division, double space, duration, duree, elbowroom, em, em quad, em space, empty space, en, en quad, en space, environs, ether space, expanse, expansion, extent, exterrestrial, extramundane, extrasolar, extraterrene, extraterrestrial, farness, fateful moment, favorable wind, fenestra, field, fistula, five-em space, fix, flat, fog, fontanel, foramen, four-em space, fourth-dimensional, free course, free hand, free play, free scope, freeboard, front, full scope, full swing, gap, gape, gat, grade, ground, gulf, hair space, half space, head wind, heartland, height, hiatus, high-pressure area, hinterland, hole, hollow, hour, infinity, inlet, instant, interim, intermediate space, intermission, interruption, interspace, interstellar space, interstice, interval, ionosphere, jetstream, jump, juncture, justification space, justifying space, kairos, keep apart, lacuna, land, lapse, lastingness, latitude, lay out, laying open, leak, leap, ledger line, leeway, length, level, light-year, light-years, limit, line, line up, long rope, low-pressure area, make a space, maneuvering space, margin, mark, marshal, measure, measure out, metagalactic space, mileage, milieu, minute, moment, moment of truth, neighborhood, no holds barred, notch, nuance, ocean of emptiness, offshore rights, open space, opening, opening up, order, organize, orifice, otherworldly, outer space, outlet, overcast, parcel out, parsec, parsecs, part, parts, pas, passageway, patent space, pause, peg, period, perspective, piece, pitch, place, plane, plateau, play, pocket, point, pore, poundage, precincts, pregnant moment, premises, pressureless space, proportion, proportional, psychological moment, psychological time, purlieus, quad, quadrat, quantity, quarter, rally, range, rank, ratio, reach, regiment, region, remoteness, remove, room, rope, roughness, round, rung, salient, scale, scope, sea room, season, seat, section, separate, separation, set apart, set at intervals, set out, shade, shadow, single space, slot, slug, soil, soup, space between, space out, space-time, spaceband, spaciousness, span, spatial, spatiotemporal, spell.|} </div></div>
- (intervening contents of a volume): volume
- (space occupied by or intended for a person or thing): room, volume
- (area or volume of sufficient size to accommodate a person or thing): place, spot, volume
- (area beyond the atmosphere of planets that consists of a vacuum): outer space
- (gap between written characters): blank, gap, whitespace (graphic design)
- (metal type): quad, quadrat
- (set of points each uniquely specified by a set of coordinates):
- (personal freedom to think or be oneself):
- (state of mind one is in when daydreaming):
- (generalized construct or set in mathematics):
- (one of the five basic elements in Indian philosophy):
- (typography): em space, 2-em space, 3-em space, en space, hair space, mutton space, nut space, thin space, thick space