NounSquare (plural Squares)
- Any simple object with four nearly straight and nearly equal sides meeting at nearly right angles.
- An L- or T-shaped tool used to place objects or draw lines at right angles.
- There are so many uses for the square, in fact, that a new model will usually come complete with a booklet enumerating its applications. - The Carpenter's Square
- An open space in a town, not necessarily square in shape, often containing trees, seating and other features pleasing to the eye.
- You're not in Wisconsin, Dave. The big story isn't about a cow wandering into the town square.
- A cell in a grid.
- You may not move a piece to a square already occupied by one of your own pieces.
- (geometry) A polygon with four sides of equal length and four angles of 90 degrees; a regular quadrilateral whose angles are all 90 degrees.
- Kazimir Malevich
- I took refuge in the square form and exhibited a picture which consisted of nothing more than a black square on a white field.
- Kazimir Malevich
- (mathematics) The second power of a number, value, term or expression.
- 64 is the square of 8.
- (slang) A socially conventional person; typically associated with the 1950s
- Why do you always wear a tie? Don't be such a square!
- (UK) The symbol # on a telephone; hash.
- Enter your account number followed by a square.
- (cricket) The central area of a cricket field, containing several pitches laid out next to one another - only one being used at a time.
- An ideal playing area is roughly circular in shape with a central area, the cricket square, measuring 27.44 metres by 27.44 metres and boundaries 45.75 metres from the sides of the square.
- (real estate jargon) A unit of measurement of area, equal to a 10 foot by 10 foot square, ie. 100 square feet or roughly 9.3 square metres. Used in real estate for the size of a house or its rooms, though progressively being replaced by square metres in metric countries such as Australia.
- 2006: Just as the basic unit of real estate measurement across the world is the square ... — Macquarie Bank (Australia), press release Macquarie releases Real Estate Market Outlook 2006 - "The World Squared", 21 June 2006 
- 2007: The house is very large and open and boasts 39 squares of living space plus over 13 squares of decking area on 3 sides and 17 squares of garage and workshop downstairs. — Your Estate advertisement for Grindelwald Tasmania 
- (roofing) A unit used in measuring roof area equivalent to 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of roof area.
- (North America) A dessert cut into rectangular pieces, or a piece of such a dessert.
- (academia) A mortarboard
- (colloquial, US) A square meal.
- Even when times were tough, we got three squares a day.
- Shaped like a square (the polygon).
- At right angles to.
- Used in the names of units of area formed by multiplying a unit of length by itself.
- square metre
- square mile
- Honest; straightforward.
- It may be prison, but at least I'm getting three square meals a day.
- I'm just looking for a square deal on my car repair.
- Even; tied
- The sides were square at the end of the half.
- 2000 Islanders, Devils Make It Tough For Canadian Teams
- The teams were square while at even strength. have to play better than even if we want to win games." said Montreal goalie Jose Theodore
- 2003 Lowe Struggles Again In Sox Setback
- But the Jays were square again by the end of the inning, as Myers hit a 2-and-0 pitch into the left-center field seats
- 2003 Els's mates get better with time
- The sides were square to the 14th hole when Goosen took birdie,
- 2006 Jim McCabe As usual, Americans trailing after first day
- In each of the last three afternoon foursomes, the Americans were square through 15, but could only come in with two halves and a loss.
- (slang) Socially conventional; boring.
- (cricket) in line with the batsman's popping crease.
- Correctly aligned with respect to something else
- (honest, straightforward): above board, on the level, on the square, on the up and up, straight
- (socially conventional): bourgeois
- (transitive) To adjust so as to align with or place at a right angle to something else.
- The casting was mounted on a milling machine so that its sides could be squared.
- To resolve.
- John can square this question up for us.
- These results just don't square.
- To adjust or adapt so as to bring into harmony with something.
- I cannot square the results of the experiment with my hypothesis.
- (transitive, mathematics) Of a value, term, or expression, to multiply by itself; to raise to the second power.
- (transitive) To draw, with a pair of compasses and a straightedge only, a square with the same area as.
- square the circle
- (to multiply by itself) ²
Babbitt, Little Joe, Methuselah, Middle American, Philistine, T square, aboveboard, absolutely, accommodate, accord, accordant, account with, accurate, accurately, adapt, adipose, adjust, agora, agree, agree with, alike, amortize, anal, anal character, answer to, antediluvian, antique, aplomb, arena, arrange, assent, assort with, at par, at right angles, atone, atone for, au pair, authentic, back number, back-number, balance, balanced, banal, bang, be consistent, be of one, be uniform with, beefy, behind the times, bewhiskered, biquadrate, bloated, block, blowzy, bob, bona fide, bosomy, bourgeois, brawny, bromidic, burgher, burly, button-down, buxom, buy, buy off, campo, cancel, change, check, check out, chime, chubby, chunky, cincture, city block, clean, clear, clear off, clear the board, clear up, clos, close, cohere, coincide, come to terms, commensurate, common, commonplace, compensate, comply with, compulsive, compulsive character, concordant, concur, confine, conform, conform to, conform with, conformer, conformist, conservative, consist with, constant, container, conventional, conventionalist, coop, cooperate, coordinate, corny, corpulent, correct, correspond, correspond to, correspond with, corresponding, counteract, counterbalance, counterpoise, countervail, counterweigh, court, courtyard, croft, cube, cube-shaped, cubed, cubic, cubiform, cuboid, curtilage, cut-and-dried, dad, dead, decent, defensible, definitely, delicate, delimited field, deserved, dice, diced, die-hard, direct, directly, discharge, distended, dodo, dovetail, drawn, due, dumpy, elder, enclave, enclosure, equal, equalize, equalized, equate, equilateral, equiponderate, equitable, ethical, even, even stephen, even the score, even up, evenhanded, exact, exactly, expiate, express, expressly, fade, fair, fair and square, faithful, faithfully, fall in together, familiar, fat, fattish, field, fifty-fifty, filling, fine, fit, fit in, fit together, fix, fleshy, flush, fogy, fold, form fours, formalist, formalistic, forty, forum, fossil, four, four-part diaphony, foursome, foursquare, fud, fuddy-duddy, full, fusty, gee, generous, genuine, get even with, give satisfaction, go together, go with, good, good-faith, granny, green, gross, ground, hackney, hackneyed, half-and-half, hang together, harmonious, harmonize, has-been, have, healthful, healthy, heavyset, hefty, hippy, hit, hold together, honest, honor, honorable, impartial, impersonal, imposing, in accord, in all respects, in every respect, in keeping, in line, in step, indemnify, inerrable, inerrant, infallible, innocent, integrate, interlock, intersect, ipsissimis verbis, jibe, just, justifiable, justified, kerplunk, knotted, kosher, kraal, lawful, lead, legal, level, lift, like, liquidate, list, literally, literatim, live down, lock, longhair, lot, lubricate, lusty, make accounts square, make amends, make compensation, make four, make good, make matters up, make reparation, make restitution, make right, make up for, market, market cross, marketplace, mart, match, mathematical, matriarch, meaty, meet, meet and right, merited, methodologist, micrometrically precise, microscopic, mid-Victorian, middle-class type, model child, modify, mossback, moth-eaten, musty, naive, nerd, nice, nip and tuck, nonpartisan, not with it, nutritious, obese, obey, objective, oblong, offset, old believer, old crock, old dodo, old fogy, old hat, old liner, old man, old poop, old woman, old-fashioned, old-timer, on a footing, on a level, on a par, on even ground, on the level, on the square, on the up-and-up, open, open and aboveboard, organization man, orthodox, orthogonal, out of it, outsider, overlap, overweight, pale, paling, par, parallel, parcel of land, park, parrot, patch, patch up, patriarch, paunchy, pay, pay back, pay damages, pay in full, pay off, pay old debts, pay out, pay the bill, pay the forfeit, pay the penalty, pay the shot, pay up, pedant, pedantic, pen, perfectionist, perpendicularly, piazza, pinpoint, place, plastic, plastic person, plat, platitudinous, plaza, plop, plot, plot of ground, plumb, plumb bob, plumb line, plumb rule, plumb-line, plummet, plump, plunk, podgy, point-blank, poise, pop, pops, portly, positively, potbellied, precise, precisely, precisian, precisianist, precisianistic, predictable, proper, propitiate, proportion, proportionate, provincial, pudgy, puffy, pursy, quad, quadrangle, quadrangular, quadrate, quadratic, quadrature, quadrennium, quadriform, quadrilateral, quadrille, quadrinomial, quadruplet, quartet, quatern, quaternary, quaternion, quaternity, quatrefoil, quit, quits, reactionary, real estate, reckon with, recompense, reconcile, rectangle, rectangular, redeem, redress, refined, refund, register, register with, regular old fogy, reimburse, relic, religious, religiously exact, repair, repay, requite, respond to, retire, rhombic, rhomboid, rialto, right, right and proper, right-angled, rightful, rigid, rigidly, rigorous, rigorously, roly-poly, rotund, rule, ruler, satisfy, satisfying, scientific, scientifically exact, section, set, set off, set square, settle, settle accounts with, settle with, settled, severe, sharp, sheep, sheer, sheerly, sing in chorus, single-hearted, smack, smack-dab, solid, sop, sort with, spang, square accounts, square dance, square it, square things, square up, square with, square-dealing, square-shooting, squarely, squaring, squat, squatty, stale, stalemated, stalwart, stand together, starets, stereotyped, stick-in-the-mud, stiffen, stock, stocky, stout, straight, straight-shooting, straightedge, straighten up, straightforward, strait-laced, strapping, strict, strictly, strike a balance, stuffed shirt, stuffy, substantial, subtle, suit, swollen, tailor, take up, tally, tally with, tamper with, teenybopper, tense, tetrad, tetragon, tetragonal, tetragram, tetragrammaton, tetrahedral, tetrahedron, tetralogy, tetraphony, tetrapody, theater, thick-bodied, thickset, threadbare, throw back, tied, timeworn, to the letter, toft, top-heavy, tract, traditionalist, trapezohedral, trapezoid, triangle, trimmer, trite, true, truistic, try square, tubby, unbiased, undeviating, undeviatingly, unerring, unerringly, unimaginative, unoriginal, unprejudiced, unsophisticated, unstinting, up and down, up-and-up, upright, uptight, verbally, verbatim, verbatim et litteratim, veritable, village green, warmed-over, warrantable, warranted, well-fed, well-known, well-worn, word by word, word for word, worn, worn thin, yard, yes-man
- The translations below need to be checked.
- The translations below need to be checked.
Square m. (plural Squares)
From English square
- IPA: /skwaʁ/
- "Square" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).