- To sign up to have copies of a publication, such as a newspaper or a magazine, delivered for a period of time.
- Would you like to subscribe or subscribe a friend to our new magazine, Lexicography Illustrated?
- To pay for the provision of a service, such as Internet access or a cell phone plan.
- To believe or agree with a theory or an idea.
- I don’t subscribe to that theory.
- To pay money to be a member of an organization.
- To contribute or promise to contribute money to a common fund.
- 1913: Theodore Roosevelt, Autobiography — […] under no circumstances could I ever again be nominated for any public office, as no corporation would subscribe to a campaign fund if I was on the ticket, and that they would subscribe most heavily to beat me;
- (business and finance) To agree to buy shares in a company.
- 1776: Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations — The capital which had been subscribed to this bank, at two different subscriptions, amounted to one hundred and sixty thousand pounds, of which eighty per cent only was paid up.
- (archaic) To write one’s name at the bottom of a document, to sign.
- (obsolete) To sign away; to yield; to surrender.
- (obsolete) To yield; to admit to being inferior or in the wrong.
Adverbs for Subscribe
heartily; sincerely; earnestly; willingly; immediately; annually; cheerfully; voluntarily.
abet, accede, accept, acquiesce, advocate, agree, agree to, agree with, aid and abet, allow, approve, approve of, assent to, autograph, back up, be a member, be inscribed, belong, brook, carry a card, chip in, come through, comfort, condone, consent, consent to, contribute, contribute to, countenance, donate to, embolden, encourage, endorse, favor, gift, gift with, give to, go for, hearten, hold membership, ink, keep in countenance, kick in, permit, pitch in, pledge, promise, sanction, shine upon, sign up for, signature, smile upon, subscribe to, support, sweeten the kitty, tolerate, underwrite, yes
- Rhymes: -aɪb
- second-person singular present active imperative of subscrībō
Subscribe (infinitive subscribir)