Definition from zikkir, the free dictionary
- IPA: /ˈsɛrint/
- Hyphenation: sze‧rint
- according to one's thought, belief, or guess
- Szerintem a másik út rövidebb. - I think the other way is shorter.
- Szerintem menjünk haza. - I think we should go home.
- by, following, in compliance with, according to, in obedience to, consistent with (e.g. a rule, a statement etc.)
- A törvény szerint 5 évet is kaphat. - By law, he may get 5 years. (in prison)
The two senses are similar but there is an important difference.
- In the first sense: Péter szerint: after this one will say what one really believes that Peter really thinks. But it often also expresses doubt in the information's correctness.
- If there is a case when we think that Peter knows the truth but he lies, we have to say Péter állítása szerint. This uses the second sense: "by Peter's statement".