Them personal pronoun, objective case
- Third personal plural pronoun used after a preposition or as the object of a verb.
- Give it to them. (after preposition)
- She wrote them a letter. (indirect object)
- She treated them for a cold. (direct object)
- Third person singular pronoun of indeterminate or irrelevant gender
- If someone comes and asks for the ticket, just give it to them. (after preposition)
- If one of my patients calls, please bring them their dinner. (indirect object)
- If a student has an inappropriate question, whatever you do, do not berate them. (direct object)
- 1611, King James Bible, Deuteronomy 17.2–5:
- If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant, [a]nd hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; [a]nd it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel: [t]hen shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.
- For notes on the usage referring to a person of unspecified gender, see the usage notes for they.
I, I myself, alter, alter ego, alterum, better self, bureaucracy, directorate, ego, ethical self, he, her, herself, hierarchy, higher echelons, higher-ups, him, himself, inner man, inner self, it, management, me, ministry, my humble self, myself, number one, officialdom, oneself, other self, ourselves, prelacy, ruling class, ruling classes, self, she, subconscious self, subliminal self, superego, the Establishment, the administration, the authorities, the ingroup, the interests, the people upstairs, the power elite, the power structure, the top, themselves, they, top brass, you, yours truly, yourself, yourselves
- (Stressed) enPR: thĕm, IPA: /ðɛm/, SAMPA: /DEm/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- (Unstressed) enPR: (th)əm, IPA: /(ð)əm/, SAMPA: /(D)@m/
Audio (US) unstressed, in the phrase "see them" noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛm
- The translations below need to be checked.
- I say
- IPA: [θɛm]
them m. (plural thema)