- The first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures, attributed to Moses and therefore also known as the Five Books of Moses.
- Tradition holds that the Torah was handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai.
- The full body of written Jewish law, including the Tanakh, the Talmud, the Mishnah and the midrashic texts.
- It says in the Torah that both gossip and murder cause irreparable damage.
- The whole of Jewish law, both written and unwritten.
- The encompassing philosophy of Judaism.
NounTorah (plural Torahs)
- A specially written scroll containing the five books of Moses, such as those used in religious services.
- An anonymous donor has provided us with a lovely new Torah.
- A book containing the five books of Moses.
- There was a lovely leather-bound Torah on the bookshelf.
Apocrypha, Chumash, Hagiographa, Hexateuch, Major Prophets, Nebiim, Octateuch, Old Testament, Pentateuch, Sefer Torah, Tenach, Torah scroll, Virginal, breviary, canon, church book, euchologion, euchology, farse, formulary, lectionary, litany, machzor, manual, missal, ordinal, pontifical, prayer book, ritual, rituale, rubric, service book, siddur, the Law, the Prophets, the Writings
From Hebrew תורה (“instruction, law or teaching”).