- (transitive) to reduce slightly; to cut; especially, to remove excess; e.g. 'trim a hedge', 'trim a beard'.
- Place the screen material in the frame, secure it in place, and trim the edges.
- The company trimmed jobs for the second time this year.
- (transitive) to decorate or adorn; especially, to decorate a Christmas tree
- They traditionally trim the tree on Christmas Eve.
- (transitive, nautical) To modify the angle of a vessel to the water by shifting cargo or ballast; to adjust for sailing; to assume, or cause a vessel to assume, a certain position, or trim, in the water. (FM 55-501).
- (transitive, nautical) To modify the angle of a vessel's sails relative to the wind, especially to set the sails to the most advantageous angle.
NounTrim (plural Trims)
- (uncountable) decoration; especially, decoration placed along edges or borders
- Paint the house white with blue trim.
- (countable) a haircut, especially a moderate one to touch up an existing style
- I went to the hairdresser for a trim and came back nearly bald.
- (uncountable) the manner in which something is equipped or adorned; especially, of a car
- The car comes in three different trims.
- (slang, mildly vulgar) engaging in sexual intercourse
- (nautical) The fore-and-aft angle of the vessel to the water, with reference to the cargo and ballast; the manner in which a vessel floats on the water, whether on an even keel or down by the head or stern
- (nautical) The arrangement of the sails with reference to the wind.
- physically fit
- He goes jogging every day to keep trim.
- slender, lean; as a trim figure
- neat or smart in appearance; as a trim lawn
Trim (not comparable)
Adverbs for Trim
naturally; pleasantly; agreeably; usually; habitually; unwontedly; stiffly; jauntily; daintily; smoothly; delicately; neatly; unusually; particularly; noticeably; conspicuously; indescribably; painfully; marvelous-ly; delightfully.
Adverbs for Trim
cautiously; judiciously; exquisitely; gaudily; garrishly; tastefully; symbolically; neatly; fastidiously.
Attic, Ciceronian, abbreviate, ability, abridge, abstain, abstract, adjoin, adjunct, adjustment, adorn, adornment, affix, all ataunto, anal, anchor, annex, apoise, apparel, arrange, arrangement, array, ataunt, athletic, attach, attire, bad condition, ballast, barber, be a timeserver, beat, beat all hollow, beat down, beat hollow, beautify, bedeck, bedizen, bedizenment, befringe, belay, best, bind, blazon, bob, boil down, border, bound, braw, break, break bulk, break out ballast, bungup and bilge-free, call down, capability, caparison, capsulize, cement, chaste, cheapen, chic, chipper, cinch, clamp, classic, classy, clean, clean up, clean-cut, clean-limbed, clear, clear for action, clear the decks, clear up, clinch, clip, clobber, clothes, clothes-conscious, clothing, coif, coiffure, color, color patterns, come down on, comely, commission, compact, competence, competency, compress, condense, condition, conk, contract, cop out, cosmopolitan, costume, cramp, crank, crank in, crisp, crop, cure, curtail, cut, cut back, cut down, cut off short, cut prices, cut short, dandify, dapper, dashing, deck, deck out, decline, decor, decorate, decoration, defeat, deflate, deploy, depreciate, destroy, devaluate, dinky, direct, dive, dizen, do in, dock, doll up, drapery, draw in, draw taut, dress, dress down, dress up, dressed to advantage, dressing, drub, duck the issue, duds, easy, edge, edging, elaboration, elegant, elide, embellish, embellishment, emblazon, emblazonment, emblazonry, embroider, embroidery, enframe, engraft, enrich, epitomize, evade, evade the issue, exquisite, fall, fall in price, fashion, fasten, fatigues, feathers, fettle, fig, fig out, finished, fit, fitness, fittedness, fix, fix up, flax, flourish, flower arrangement, foreshorten, form, frame, frill, fringe, furbish, furniture arrangement, garb, garments, garnish, garnishment, garniture, gear, genteel, get ready, give a dressing-down, give it to, give way, good condition, grace, graceful, gracile, graft, grapple, groom, guise, gussy up, habiliment, habit, health, hem, hide, hors de combat, illumination, in trim, investiture, investment, jaunty, jew down, jump all over, jump on, kilter, knit, lambaste, lap, larrup, lather, leather, lick, limpid, line, linen, list, lower, lucid, make arrangements, make fast, make preparations, make ready, march, marge, margin, marginate, mark down, marshal, mastery, maturity, mobilize, moor, mow, natty, natural, neat, neaten, nifty, nip, nobby, nose-dive, order, orderly, ornament, ornamentation, outclass, outdo, outfight, outgeneral, outmaneuver, outpoint, outrun, outsail, outshine, paddle, paint, pare, pellucid, perspicuous, piping, plain, plan, plummet, plunge, police, police up, polished, poll, pollard, pompadour, posh, prank, prank up, prearrange, preen, prep, prepare, preparedness, pretreat, prettify, primp, primp up, prink, prink up, process, proficiency, provide, prune, pull in, pure, purfle, purl, put, put in shape, put in trim, put to, qualification, rags, raiment, readiness, ready, ready up, reap, recap, recapitulate, recherche, redecorate, redo, reduce, reel, reel in, refined, refurbish, repair, restrained, retrench, rickrack, rim, ripeness, ritzy, robes, round, ruin, sag, screw up, seasoning, secure, set, set off, set out, set to, settle, settle preliminaries, shape, shapely, sharp, shave, shear, shellac, shift ballast, shingle, shipshape, shoot ballast, shorten, side, simple, sit it out, skin, skin alive, skirt, skive, slash, sleek, slender, slick, slim, slump, smart, smarten, smarten up, smear, smother, smug, snazzy, snip, snub, snug, soigne, soignee, sophisticated, speak to, spick and span, spick-and-span, spiffy, sportswear, spruce, spruce up, stand neuter, state, statuesque, straddle, straighten up, straightforward, streamlined, stunt, style, style-conscious, suitability, suitableness, suitedness, sum up, summarize, swank, swanky, swell, symmetrical, synopsize, tackle, take in, talk to, tan, tasteful, taut, tauten, telescope, tell off, tempering, temporize, terse, thrash, threads, tidy, tidy up, tight, tighten, titivate, togs, toilette, treat, trice up, trick out, trick up, tricksy, trig, trig up, trim ship, trim up, trimming, triumph over, trounce, truncate, try out, unaffected, uncluttered, undo, unlabored, verge, vestment, vesture, wallop, wave, wear, wearing apparel, well-cared-for, well-dressed, well-favored, well-formed, well-groomed, well-made, well-ordered, well-proportioned, well-shaped, welt, whack, whale, whip, winch, wind in, windlass, window dressing, wing out ballast, worst
- More often used in combinations, eg, "trim-sailed".