- (intransitive) To show up; to appear suddenly or unexpectedly.
- Is this your pencil that turned up in my drawer?
- I don't like people turning up without an appointment.
- 1922, James Joyce , Ulysses Episode 16
- Highly providential was the appearance on the scene of Corny Kelleher when Stephen was blissfully unconscious but for that man in the gap turning up at the eleventh hour the finis might have been that he might have been a candidate for the accident ward...
- (transitive) To increase the amount of something by means of a control, such as the volume, heat, or light.
- Turn up the radio and sing along.
- (transitive) To reposition by rotating, flipping, etc. upwards.
- He turned up his collar against the cold.
- (transitive, nautical) To belay or make fast a line on a cleat or pin.
- Sense 1 is intransitive.
- In senses 2, 3 and 4 the object is normally a thing, not a person. It may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
abandon, accomplish, achieve, appear, appear unexpectedly, approach, arise, arrive, arrive at, arrive in, assister, attain, attain to, attend, be at, be found, be present at, be received, be unexpected, bechance, become manifest, become visible, befall, betide, betray itself, blow in, bob up, bring to light, catch, cede, chance, check in, clock in, cock up, come, come across, come along, come forth, come forward, come in, come in sight, come into being, come into existence, come on, come out, come to, come to hand, come to light, come unawares, come upon, creep up on, crop out, crop up, descry, detect, dig up, disclose, discover itself, disinter, do, draw on, emerge, encounter, enter, espy, excavate, exhume, expose, fade in, fall upon, ferret out, fetch, fetch up at, find, fish up, flash upon one, gain, get in, get there, get to, give up, go to, hand, hang out, hap, happen, happen along, happen by chance, hazard, heave in sight, hit, hit town, issue, issue forth, look forth, look on, loom, make, make it, materialize, meet with, outcrop, peep out, pop up, pounce upon, present itself, pull in, punch in, reach, rear its head, reveal, ring in, rise, roll in, root up, see, see the light, show, show up, sign in, sit in, slope up, spot, spring up, stream forth, strike the eye, take in, time in, track down, trend upwards, uncover, unearth, upbend, upcast, upcurve, upsweep, upturn, visit, watch, witness, worm out
- show up (1)
- turn down (2)