- Present participle of underpin.
NounUnderpinning (plural Underpinnings)
- A support or foundation, especially as a structure of masonry that supports a wall or a metaphorical basis for something.
- This house's underpinning is not up to standard.
- I would like to know more about the underpinning of this political theory.
- (foundations) The construction of additional supports introduced beneath a wall already constructed
- (foundations) The material used in such additional supports
base, basement, basis, bearing wall, bed, bedding, bedrock, brace, buttress, column, floor, flooring, fond, footing, foundation, fundament, fundamental, ground, grounds, groundwork, hardpan, infrastructure, pavement, principle, prop, radical, riprap, rock bottom, root, rudiment, seat, seating, shore, sill, solid ground, solid rock, stay, stereobate, stylobate, substratum, substruction, substructure, terra firma, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, understruction, understructure