NounVariance (plural Variances)
- The act of varying or the state of being variable
- A difference between what is expected and what happens
- The state of differing or being in conflict
- A discrepancy, especially between two legal documents
- (statistics) The second central moment in probability
- (finance) A statistical measure that looks at how widely spread from the the average a series of numbers is.
- Note: Found by taking the difference of each number from the mean of the group, then squaring each result, then calculating the mean of the squared results.
Adjectives for Variance
usual; perpetual; wide; noticeable. adjectives wicked; abominable; graceless; crimson; incontinent; naughty
agreement to disagree, alienation, antagonism, apostasy, argument, argumentation, at variance, change, clashing, conflict, contention, contradiction, contrariety, contrast, controversy, counter-culture, cross-purposes, debate, departure, deviation, difference, difference of opinion, difficulty, disaccord, disaccordance, disagreement, disapprobation, disapproval, disconformity, discongruity, discord, discordance, discordancy, discrepancy, discreteness, disharmony, disparity, dispute, dissatisfaction, dissension, dissent, dissentience, dissidence, dissimilarity, dissonance, distinction, distinctness, disunion, disunity, divergence, divergency, diversity, dividedness, division, dropping out, faction, far cry, fluctuation, heterogeneity, in disagreement, in dispute, inaccordance, incompatibility, incongruity, inconsistency, inconsonance, inequality, inharmoniousness, inharmony, irreconcilability, jarring, minority opinion, misunderstanding, mixture, negation, nonagreement, nonassent, nonconcurrence, nonconformity, nonconsent, odds, opposition, oppugnancy, otherness, polarization, quarrel, recusance, recusancy, rejection, repudiation, repugnance, rift, schism, secession, separateness, separation, severing, strife, unconformity, underground, unharmoniousness, unlikeness, unorthodoxy, variation, variegation, variety, withdrawal
Variance m. (plural Variances)
From Latin variantia.