- Excitement of imagination such as animates a poet, artist, or musician, in composing or performing
- artistic energy and enthusiasm
- vigour, vitality and liveliness
- rapture, enthusiasm
- spirit, energy
active fancy, aggressiveness, alacrity, animal spirits, animation, anxiety, anxiousness, appetite, ardency, ardor, avidity, avidness, bang, bounce, breathless impatience, breeziness, brio, briskness, bubbliness, buoyancy, capersomeness, cheerful readiness, coltishness, dash, drive, eagerness, ebullience, ecstasy, effervescence, elan, elasticity, energy, enterprise, enthusiasm, esprit, excited imagination, excitement, exuberance, fervency, fervent imagination, fervidness, fervor, fire, flair, flourish, forwardness, friskiness, frolicsomeness, furor, fury, gaiety, gamesomeness, gayness, get-up-and-go, ginger, gust, gusto, heart, heartiness, heat, heated imagination, impassionedness, impatience, initiative, keen desire, keenness, kick, life, liveliness, lively imagination, lurid imagination, moxie, oomph, panache, passion, passionateness, pep, pepper, peppiness, piquancy, piss and vinegar, pizzazz, playfulness, poignancy, poop, promptness, punch, pungency, push, quickness, raciness, readiness, relish, resiliency, rollicksomeness, rompishness, savor, skittishness, snap, soul, sparkle, spirit, spiritedness, spirits, sportiveness, sprightliness, spring, spunk, starch, thrust, vehemence, vigor, vim, vitality, vivaciousness, vivacity, vivacity of imagination, vivid imagination, vividness, warmth, warmth of feeling, wild imagination, zeal, zest, zestfulness, zing, zip
- Finnish: innostus (1,2)
- German: Schwung (de) m., Begeisterung (de) f., Verve (de) f.
- Spanish: nervio (es) m., energía (es) f.
- Verve in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- Verve in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Verve f. (plural Verves)
- IPA: /vɛʁv/
verve f. inv.