NounVignette (plural Vignettes)
- (architecture) A running ornament consisting of leaves and tendrils, used in Gothic architecture.
- (printing) A decorative design, originally representing vine branches or tendrils, at the head of a chapter, of a manuscript or printed book, or in a similar position.
- (by extension) Any small borderless picture in a book, especially an engraving, photograph, or the like, which vanishes gradually at the edge.
- (by extension) A short story that presents a scene or tableau, or paints a picture.
- The small picture on a postage stamp.
Verbs for Vignette
adorn with—s; dash off—; embellish with —s; enamel—; etch—; execute—; frame—; impress—; print—; sketch—; stipple—; varnish—; —delineates; —depicts; —describes; —illustrates; —ornaments; —pictures; —portrays.
Bildungsroman, Gothic novel, aquatint, autolithograph, black and white, block, block print, brouillon, cameo, cartoon, catalog, cataloging, character, character sketch, characterization, charcoal, charcoal drawing, chiaroscuro, chromolithograph, color print, comic novel, copperplate, copperplate print, crayon, crayon engraving, cut, delineation, depiction, description, design, details, detective novel, diagram, dime novel, doodle, draft, drawing, dreadful, ebauche, engravement, engraving, epistolary novel, erotic novel, esquisse, etching, evocation, graph, graphic account, graphotype, historical novel, image, imagery, impress, impression, imprint, itemization, limning, line drawing, linoleum-block print, lithograph, mezzotint, negative, nouvelle, novel, novel of character, novel of ideas, novel of incident, novel of manners, novel of sensibility, novelette, novella, particularization, pastel, pen-and-ink, pencil drawing, penny dreadful, photograph, picaresque novel, picture, pornographic novel, portrayal, print, problem novel, profile, proletarian novel, propaganda novel, psychological novel, regional novel, rendering, rendition, representation, river novel, roman, roman a clef, roman-fleuve, rough copy, rough draft, rough outline, rubber-block print, satirical novel, science-fiction novel, sentimental novel, shilling shocker, short story, short-short, silhouette, silver-print drawing, sinopia, sketch, sociological novel, specification, storiette, stream-of-consciousness novel, study, thesis novel, tracing, vivid description, wood engraving, woodblock, woodcut, woodprint, word painting, xylograph
- Plural form of vignetta.