- (transitive) To say defamatory things about someone or something.
- (transitive) To belittle through speech; to put down.
- (say defamatory things about): assail, criticize, decry, denounce, libel, slander
- (belittle, put down): berate
- See also Thesaurus:defame
Adverbs for Vilify
blackly; wrathfully; maliciously; malignantly; cruelly; viciously; jealously; furiously; terribly; coarsely; rudely; hatefully; grossly.
abuse, asperse, assail, attaint, bad-mouth, bark at, berate, besmirch, bespatter, betongue, blacken, blackguard, blaspheme, blot, blow upon, brand, call names, calumniate, censure, curse, cuss out, damn, debase, decry, defame, defile, denigrate, denounce, deprecate, depreciate, devalue, diminish, disapprove, disparage, engage in personalities, epithet, epithetize, execrate, expose, expose to infamy, fulminate against, gibbet, hang in effigy, heap dirt upon, jaw, libel, load with reproaches, malign, mistreat, misuse, muckrake, outrage, pillory, rag, rail at, rate, rave against, reprimand, revile, run down, slander, slur, smear, smirch, soil, speak ill of, stain, stigmatize, sully, swear, swear at, taint, tarnish, tear down, throw mud at, thunder against, tongue-lash, traduce, vituperate, yell at, yelp at
- The translations below need to be checked.