NounWeight (plural Weights)
- The force on an object due to the gravitational attraction between it and the Earth (or whatever astronomical object it is influenced by).
- An object used to make something heavier.
- A standardized block of metal used in a balance to measure the mass of another object.
- Importance or influence
- (weightlifting) A disc of iron, dumbbell, or barbell used for training the muscles.
- (physics) Mass (net weight, atomic weight, molecular weight, troy weight, carat weight, etc.).
- (statistics) A variable which multiplies a value for ease of statistical manipulation.
- (topology) The smallest cardinality of a base.
- (typography) The boldness of a font; the relative thickness of its strokes.
- (visual art) The relative thickness of a drawn rule or painted brushstroke, line weight.
- (visual art) The illusion of mass.
- (visual art) The thickness and opacity of paint.
- (transitive) To add weight to something, in order to make it heavier.
- (transitive) To load, burden or oppress someone.
- (transitive, mathematics) To assign weights to individual statistics.
- (transitive) To bias something; to slant.
- (transitive, horse racing) To handicap a horse with a specified weight.
Adjectives for Weight
nightmare; slumberous; undue; soft; dark; mass; excess; increasing; overwhelming; panting; superior; sweet; enormous; withering; unsolicited; panting; patent; caressing; portcullis; co-extensive; lesser; dead; comfortable; unaccustomed; hard; icy; noticeable; prodigal; definite; descending; weary; augmented; emotional; specific; idle; crushing; finite; momentous; ponderous; relative; surplus; massive; cruel; exceptional; light; sufficient; combined.
Verbs for Weight
adjust—; ascertain—; attain—; bear—; carry—; cast off—; convey—; determine—; exert—; flounder under—; groan under—; manipulate—; match—; modify—; propel—; regulate—; shoulder—; support—; suspend—; unburden—; vary in—; —balances; —bruises; —burdens; —compresses; —constricts ; —crumples; —crushes; —descends; —diminishes; —fatigues; —oppresses; — overwhelms; —submerges.
mass, mastery, materiality, megaton, merit, might, might and main, mightiness, milligram, millstone, mole, moment, momentousness, moxie, muscle power, note, onus, oppression, ounce, ounce avoirdupois, ounce troy, overfill, pack, pack of troubles, pad, parallel bars, paramountcy, peck of troubles, penalty, pennyweight, personality, persuasion, pith, pizzazz, place, plumb, plummet, pomp, pomposity, poop, potence, potency, potentiality, pound, pound avoirdupois, pound troy, poundal, power, power pack, power structure, power struggle, powerfulness, precedence, predominance, preeminence, preponderance, prepotency, pressure, prestige, primacy, primness, priority, productiveness, productivity, prominence, puissance, pull, punch, punching bag, purchase, push, put, put down, put on, put upon, ram in, rank, reign, repute, rigidness, rings, ritual, rituality, rowing machine, rule, saddle, saddle with, sandbag, satiate, saturate, say, scruple, sea of troubles, self-importance, seniority, set, side horse, significance, signification, sinew, sinker, slug, solemnity, solidity, sophisticate, sorrow, soundness, spoil, starchiness, stature, steam, stiffness, stiltedness, stone, strength, stress, strike a balance, strong arm, stuff, stylization, suasion, subject to, substantiality, subtle influence, suggestion, supercharge, superiority, superpower, supremacy, surfeit, sway, task, tax, thorn, tip the scales, ton, top off, trampoline, trapeze, trouble, units of weight, upper hand, validity, value, vehemence, vigor, vim, virility, virtue, virulence, vitality, wad, waters of bitterness, wattage, weigh, weigh down, weigh heavy, weigh in, weigh out, weight down, weight down with, weightiness, whip hand, white elephant, woe, worth, yoke with, Indian club, accent, affliction, amperage, armipotence, ascendancy, authoritativeness, authority, balance, ballast, barbell, be heavy, beef, bitter cup, bitter draft, bitter draught, bitter pill, black power, bob, brim, brute force, buckram, burden, burden of care, burden with, burthen, cankerworm of care, carat, care, cargo, carry weight, centigram, ceremonial, ceremoniousness, ceremony, charge, charisma, charm, chock, clout, cogence, cogency, compulsion, concern, concernment, congest, consequence, consequentiality, consideration, contaminate, control, corrupt, counterbalance, cram, credit, cross, crowd, crown of thorns, cumber, cumbrance, curse, deadweight, debase, decagram, decigram, demand, difficulty, dignity, dint, disadvantage, distress, doctor, dominance, domination, dram, dram avoirdupois, drive, dumbbell, duress, duty, dyne, effect, effectiveness, effectuality, efficacy, embarrassment, eminence, emphasis, enchantment, encumber, encumbrance, energy, enjoin, esteem, exact, excellence, exerciser, extrinsicality, fasten upon, favor, fill, fill to overflowing, fill up, flower power, force, force majeure, forcefulness, form, formality, formalization, foul up, freight, freight with, full blast, full force, gall, gall and wormwood, good feeling, grain, gram, gravity, greatness, grievance, hamper, handicap, have weight, heft, high order, high rank, hold, hold the scales, horse, hundredweight, impediment, impedimenta, impersonality, import, importance, impose, impose on, impose upon, imposition, incidental power, inconvenience, inflict on, inflict upon, infliction, influence, influentiality, influentialness, insinuation, interest, jam, jam-pack, justness, kilo, kilogram, lade, lay, lay on, lead, leadership, leverage, levy, lie heavy, load, long horse, lumber, magnetism, magnitude, main force, main strength, mana, mark,
- weightful, weightfully, weightfulness