- Having a large physical extent from side to side.
- We walked down a wide corridor.
- Large in scope.
- The inquiry had a wide remit.
- (sports) Operating at the side of the playing area.
- That team needs a decent wide player.
- narrow (regarding empty area)
- thin (regarding occupied area)
- skinny (sometimes offensive, regarding body width)
- He travelled far and wide.
- He was wide awake.
- away from a given goal
- The arrow fell wide of the mark.
- 2010 Sam Sheringham Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolverhampton
- The Reds carved the first opening of the second period as Glen Johnson's pull-back found David Ngog but the Frenchman hooked wide from six yards.
NounWide (plural Wides)
- (cricket) A ball that passes so far from the batsman that the umpire deems it unplayable; the arm signal used by an umpire to signal a wide; the extra run added to the batting side's score
Adverbs for Wide
amply; sufficiently; generously; unexpectedly; capaciously; voluminously; exceptionally; particularly; peculiarly; conveniently; commodiously; spaciously; advantageously; tremendously; immensely; adequately: suitably; properly; fortunately; outlandishly; unnecessarily.
aberrant, abroad, abstract, accented, adrift, advanced, afield, all abroad, all off, all wrong, alveolar, amiss, ample, amplitudinous, apical, apico-alveolar, apico-dental, articulated, askew, assimilated, astray, at fault, awry, back, barytone, beside the mark, bilabial, bland, broad, broad-gauged, broad-minded, broadly, cacuminal, capacious, catholic, central, cerebral, checked, clear, close, collective, commodious, comprehensive, consonant, consonantal, continuant, copious, corrupt, cosmopolitan, deceptive, deep, defective, delusive, dental, deviant, deviational, deviative, diffuse, dissimilated, distantly and broadly, distorted, dorsal, ecumenical, ecumenistic, errant, erring, erroneous, expansive, extended, extending, extensive, fallacious, false, far afield, far and near, far and wide, far-embracing, far-extending, far-flung, far-flying, far-going, far-ranging, far-reaching, faultful, faulty, featureless, flat, flawed, front, full, general, generalized, generic, generous, glide, glossal, glottal, guttural, hard, heavy, heretical, heterodox, high, illogical, illusory, indefinite, indeterminate, indiscriminate, infinite, intonated, labial, labiodental, labiovelar, large-scale, lateral, lax, liberal, light, lingual, liquid, low, mid, monophthongal, muted, narrow, nasal, nasalized, nebulous, neutral, noninsular, nonspecific, not right, not true, occlusive, off, off the track, open, out, oxytone, palatal, palatalized, peccant, perverse, perverted, pharyngeal, pharyngealized, phonemic, phonetic, phonic, pitch, pitched, posttonic, progressive, radical, retroflex, roomy, rounded, scopic, self-contradictory, semivowel, soft, sonant, spacious, spacious of mind, spreading, stopped, straying, stressed, strong, surd, sweeping, syllabic, tense, thick, throaty, tolerant, tonal, tonic, twangy, unaccented, unbigoted, uncharacterized, undifferentiated, unfactual, unfanatical, unhidebound, unorthodox, unparochial, unproved, unprovincial, unrounded, unspecified, unstressed, untrue, vague, vast, velar, vocalic, vocoid, voiced, voiceless, voluminous, vowel, vowellike, weak, wholesale, wide-extended, wide-extending, wide-minded, wide-ranging, wide-reaching, wide-stretching, widely, widespread, wrong
- IPA: /wiː.de/