- completely open
- The front door was wide open.
- 1922, Margery Williams , The Velveteen Rabbit
- It was a bright, sunny morning, and the windows stood wide open.
- Having no laws or law enforcement
- It was a wide open frontier town before the railroad came.
- unsettled or unresolved
- The fate of the loan sailor is still wide open.
- vulnerable or unprotected
- He left himself wide open to criticism.
- (finance) of the situation at the beginning of trading when there is a large spread between bid and ask prices
absolute, all out, at full blast, at full drive, at full speed, at full throttle, bald, bare, clear, cleared, deltoid, disclosed, exposed, fan-shape, fan-shaped, fanlike, fanned, fanning, flabelliform, flared, flaring, flat out, free, full, full speed ahead, illimitable, in full sail, limitless, naked, no strings, open, outspread, outstretched, patulous, perfect, plenary, splay, splayed, splaying, spraddled, spraddling, sprangled, sprangling, sprawling, sprawly, spread, spreading, stretched-out, unbound, unbounded, uncircumscribed, unclogged, unclosed, unconditional, unconditioned, unconfined, uncovered, under full steam, unequivocal, unfolded, unhidden, unlimited, unmeasured, unobstructed, unqualified, unrestricted, unstopped, widespread, with all speed, without strings