- (transitive) To keep (a physical object that one has obtained) to oneself rather than giving it back to its owner.
- (transitive) To keep (information, etc) to oneself rather than revealing it.
- (transitive) To retain; to keep back; not to grant; as, to withhold assent to a proposition.
- (keep (a physical object) to oneself): retain
Adverbs for Withhold
deliberately; purposely; mystically; insidiously; venomously; hatefully; relentlessly; tenaciously; perfidiously.
abstain, abstain from, arrest, avoid, begrudge, bit, bosom, bridle, check, classify, close the hand, conceal, conserve, constrain, contain, control, cool, cool off, curb, curtail, decelerate, deny, detain, disallow, do without, dompt, enjoin, eschew, file and forget, forbear, forgo, govern, grudge, guard, hinder, hold, hold aloof from, hold at bay, hold back, hold down, hold fast, hold in, hold in check, hold in leash, hold out on, hold up, husband, in petto, inhibit, keep, keep back, keep between us, keep buttoned up, keep by one, keep close, keep dark, keep from, keep in, keep in check, keep in ignorance, keep in reserve, keep in store, keep mum, keep on hand, keep out, keep secret, keep snug, keep under control, keep under wraps, lay by, lay under restraint, let alone, let go by, make no sign, never let on, never touch, not give away, not tell, not touch, pass up, play dumb, preserve, prohibit, pull, pull in, put apart, put aside, put by, refrain, refrain from, refuse, rein, rein in, reserve, restrain, retain, retard, retrench, save, save up, secrete, set apart, set aside, set back, set by, shun, slow down, snub, spare, stand aloof from, straiten, veil
- (UK) IPA: /wɪθˈhəʊld/, /wɪðˈhəʊld/
- (US) IPA: /wɪθˈhoʊld/, /wɪðˈhoʊld/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊld
- The translations below need to be checked.