- Plural form of work.
- (plurale tantum) A mechanism or machine; the means by which something happens.
- A stray wrench can really gum up the works.
- (plurale tantum) A factory or similar collection of buildings
- The steel works almost fills the valley.
- (plurale tantum) Everything or everything that is available or possible; especially, all available toppings on food. (Always preceded by the.)
- I'll have a Behemoth Burger with the works.
- (plurale tantum) An act associated with moral or religious standing.
- His works displayed his righteousness.
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of work.
abdomen, accomplished fact, accomplishment, achievement, act, acta, action, adventure, anus, appendix, benevolences, bleachworks, blind gut, blow, bottling works, bowels, brain, brassworks, cecum, charities, clockworks, colon, copperworks, coup, dealings, deed, doing, doings, drive train, duodenum, dye works, effort, endeavor, endocardium, enterprise, entrails, exploit, fait accompli, feat, foregut, gasworks, gear, gest, giblets, gizzard, glassworks, go, good works, guts, hand, handiwork, heart, hindgut, innards, inner mechanism, insides, internals, intestine, inwards, ironworks, jejunum, job, kidney, kishkes, large intestine, liver, liver and lights, lung, machinery, maneuver, measure, mechanism, metalworks, midgut, motion, move, movement, movements, operation, overt act, paper works, passage, performance, perineum, philanthropies, power train, printworks, proceeding, production, pump, pylorus, rectum, res gestae, saltworks, scrapworks, servomechanism, small intestine, soapworks, spleen, starchworks, steelworks, step, stomach, stroke, stunt, the works, thing, thing done, ticker, tileworks, tour de force, transaction, tripes, tryworks, tubeworks, turn, undertaking, vermiform appendix, viscera, vitals, watchworks, waterworks, wheels, wheels within wheels, whole bit, whole caboodle, whole deal, whole hog, whole megillah, whole mess, whole schmear, whole shebang, whole shooting match, whole show, whole works, wireworks, work, workings
- (RP) IPA: /wɜːks/, SAMPA: /w3:ks/
- (GenAm) IPA: /wɝks/, SAMPA: /w3`ks/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)ks