- Present participle of write.
NounWriting (countable and uncountable; plural Writings)
- (uncountable) Graphism of symbols such as letters that express some meaning.
- (uncountable) Something written, such as a document, article or book.
- (uncountable) The process of representing a language with symbols or letters.
- (countable) A work of an author.
- (countable) The style of writing of a person.
- I can't read your writing.
- (as a modifier) Intended for or used in writing.
- a writing table
- (written letters or symbols that express some meaning): text
- (something written): document, text
- (process of representing a language with symbols or letters):
- (work of an author): work
- (the style of writing of a person): hand, handwriting
- (intended for or used in writing):
alphabet, alphabetic character, art, article, artistry, authorcraft, authorship, autograph, automatic writing, best seller, black and white, blank, blueprint, book, bound book, brainchild, cacoethes scribendi, character, charactering, characterization, chart, chirograph, choreography, cipher, classic, coloring book, composition, computer printout, conventional representation, copy, creative writing, dance notation, definitive work, delineation, demonstration, depiction, depictment, device, diagram, docket, document, dossier, draft, drama, drama-writing, drawing, edited version, editorial-writing, engrossment, essay, essay-writing, exemplification, expository writing, facility in writing, fair copy, feature-writing, fiction, figuration, file, final draft, finished version, first draft, flimsy, folio, form, graph, grapheme, graphomania, graphorrhea, graphospasm, great work, hardback, hieroglyphic, holograph, iconography, ideogram, illustration, imagery, imaging, inditement, instrument, journalism, juvenile, juvenile book, legal document, legal instrument, legal paper, letter, lexigraphic character, libretto-writing, limning, limp-cover book, literae scriptae, literary artefact, literary artistry, literary composition, literary power, literary production, literary talent, literature, logogram, logograph, lucubration, magnum opus, manuscript, map, matter, monogram, musical notation, nonbook, nonfiction, notation, notebook, novel, novel-writing, official document, opus, opuscule, opusculum, original, paper, paperback, papers, parchment, pen, pencraft, penscript, personal file, phonetic character, phonetic symbol, pictogram, pictographic character, picture book, picturization, piece, piece of writing, plan, play, playbook, playwriting, pocket book, poem, portraiture, portrayal, prayer book, prefigurement, presentment, printed matter, printing, printout, production, projection, psalmbook, psalter, publication, reading matter, ready pen, realization, recension, rendering, rendition, representation, rewriting, roll, schema, score, screed, scrip, script, scrive, scroll, second draft, serial, short-story writing, sign, sketchbook, skill with words, soft-cover, songbook, standard work, storybook, syllabary, syllabic, symbol, tablature, technical writing, the written word, title, tome, trade book, transcript, transcription, typescript, verse-writing, version, volume, work, writ, written character